A couple died after being electrocuted while hanging out the washing at their Mduma Street in Soweto on Sea home on Monday.
According to police spokesperson Captain Gerda Swart, a neighbour heard a scream on Monday.
“It is alleged that on Monday, 29 November 2021 at about 15:40, the couple, Lingomso Cose (30) and her husband, Mphakamise Cose (34) were busy hanging out the washing at their Mduma Street in Soweto on Sea home when the neighbour heard a scream.
“It is further alleged that the washing was hung on a wire that was illegally connected to a municipal electrical pole,” Swart said.
She said police are investigating the deaths of the couple.
“Police in Kwazakele are investigating an inquest following the deaths of two people who were allegedly electrocuted as a result of illegal connections,” Swart said.
Police urged residents to refrain from illegally connecting electricity as this can have fatal consequences.
“Loose electrical wires/cables must not be interfered with, instead the necessary authorities must be contacted to attend to the loose live wire,” she added.
Earlier this year another couple made headlines when they were electrocuted in their Johannesburg home. It is believed illegal electricity connections, was to blame for the death of the newlywed Johannesburg couple, Zaheer Sarang and Nabeelah Khan.
It is furthermore believed that Khan was in the shower when she collapsed after allegedly touching the taps and when the husband rushed in to help, he also got electrocuted and fell to the ground.
City Power CEO Mongezi Ntsokolo said in June an investigation was launched to establish what had happened.