Can I work more than one job o

Can I work more than one job on a Tier 2 work permit visa?

According to UK Immigration Rules – do you meet the requirements needed to be able to take on Supplementary work, Voluntary work or Secondary work

Can I work more than one job o

Many clients on the Tier 2 work permit route are not sure what the do’s and don’ts on this immigration route are. One of the most frequently asked questions to the BIC immigration consultants are about the issue of Tier 2 and supplementary work – what’s allowed and whats not?

We have therefore compiled a short guideline on the issue, based on the UK Immigration Rules.

Supplementary Work

A Tier 2 employee can do extra work (in addition to the job specified on the Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS)) in the following circumstances;

  • If the job is on the shortage occupation list or in the same sector and at the same professional level as the work for which the sponsorship certificate was issued;
  • It is for no longer than 20 hours per week; and
  • It is outside the normal working hours for the job for which the sponsorship certificate was issued.

If the above requirements are met, the Tier 2 holder need not inform the UK Home Office of this supplementary work.

Voluntary Work

A Tier 2 employee are allowed to do voluntary work in any sector, provided he/she is not paid or receive other money for the voluntary work. The employee is however allowed to receive payments for reasonable expenses, as described in the National Minimum Wage Act.

Secondary Work

If a Tier 2 holder wants to do a second or additional job, which is not supplementary work (see above) – for example, more than 20 hours per week, or not in the same profession as the job specified on the CoS, he/she will need to apply for a new CoS for this second job, and apply for variation of leave.

There are very specific rules regarding the second work, and clients thinking of applying for this, will be well advised to seek professional guidance in this regard.

Please feel free to contact your BIC consultant for advice in your unique circumstances. or