Nelson Mandela / Getty Images
These Nelson Mandela quotes will make you realise just how much we all miss the wonderful human being. How badly do we need his leadership now?
Nelson Mandela / Getty Images
If you didn’t know already, today marks exactly four years since the death of former South African president Nelson Mandela. For South Africans, the memory of finding out Mandela had passed will stay with them for the rest of their lives. From the young to the old, everyone remembers where they were and what they were doing when they found out.
Now, years later, we thought what better way to remember Madiba than to look back at some of his quotes that just make your heart warm. For a man who experienced so much hate and abuse, he still always had so much love to give.
These are some of the Nelson Mandela quotes that make us wish we still had his wisdom and leadership today.
This will always stand out to us as “core” Mandela. A man so wise and so forgiving, that he was always able to channel his energy into his goals, not his enemies.
2. “What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead.”
Madiba’s selfless attitude was truly something so incredibly rare. Yes, there are lots of kind people in the world, but not too many that make it their mission to help others.
3. “I stand here before you not as a prophet but as a humble servant of you, the people. Your tireless and heroic sacrifices have made it possible for me to be here today. I therefore place the remaining years of my life in your hands.”
This quote was from the day of Mandela’s release from jail. It tells you so much about the man. He spent 27 years in prison for the people, then, as soon as he got out he was prepared to dedicate the rest of his life too.
4. “I HAVE fought against white domination, and I have fought against black domination. I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons will live together in harmony with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for, and to see realised. But my Lord, if needs be, it is an ideal for which I am prepared to die.”
A man who was prepared to die for justice. He didn’t want a civil war or violence against white South Africans. He just wanted true equality.
5. “No one is born hating another person because of the colour of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.”
You can’t have a list of Mandela quotes and not include this one. Truly iconic.
6. “Death is something inevitable. When a man has done what he considers to be his duty to his people and his country, he can rest in peace. I believe I have made that effort and that is, therefore, why I will sleep for the eternity.”
If anyone deserves to rest well, it’s this icon. Rest in Peace Nelson, the nation misses you.
Are you a true ‘Skeem Saam soapie superfan? Please participate in our famous soapie quiz and WIN R1 000 in cash!