Just days after Minister of Police Bheki Cele announced a large reduction in the number of cash-in-transit heists, a security company is offering a massive reward for information. Are officials making enough progress to halt the upswing?
In a statement released this weekend, SBV announced that it is offering a R1m reward for information on an Eastern Cape heist that left two guards dead. The heist took place in Tsolo on Friday.
SBV says it takes exception to the loss of life and is, therefore, offering the reward for information that will lead to the arrest and successful conviction of the robbers.
The guards were load money at an ATM when a group of armed men attacked them. If you’re not in Tsolo, have no fear. SBV is also offering R100 000 rewards for info on heists from Monday in Pietermaritzburg and Hammanskraal.
According to SAPS, cash-in-transit robbers had been more than halved in the month of June compared to May. In the first half of 2018, cash-in-transit heists had become almost a daily occurrence across the country. To make matter worse, they also seemed to be getting more violent.
“These robberies have been reduced significantly by 61% in the month of June 2018 compared to the month of May 2018,” Minister Cele and National Police Commissioner General Khehla John Sitole said in a joint statement.
Prominent cash-in-transit security company Fidelity also released a statement expressing its hesitancy to celebrate the reduction in heists.
“This week alone, there have been four cross pavement incidents and three vehicle attacks – one of these occurred in the Eastern Cape and two in Bloemfontein which is worrying as the crime could simply be dispersing into other areas.”
If you have any information on either of the incidents, please get in touch with SBV.