Photo: Mthobisi Gasa / Twitter

Durban floods: Freak roof collapse kills two people

For the second time this year, deadly floods have claimed multiple lives in Durban. The aftermath of the treacherous weather has been devastating.


Photo: Mthobisi Gasa / Twitter

Torrential rain has claimed two lives in Durban overnight, after most of KwaZulu-Natal was battered by adverse weather conditions on Monday evening and into the early hours of Tuesday morning. This latest deluge comes just seven months after deadly downpours killed more than 70 people in KZN.

Durban floods – latest news and road closures:

The relentless rainfall has shutdown major highways and caused traffic nightmares for the earnest commuters on the East Coast. The M4 highway has proved to be the most high-profile casualty, with a stretch between Umhlanga and Sibaya being shut down on Tuesday.

Mayor addresses the media

It has since been confirmed by authorities that there was a much more human cost to the damage and destruction wreaked by the weather last night. A couple in Durban were killed instantly when their roof collapsed due to the severity of the downpours.

An intense amount of pressure was exerted on the roof, which caved in on top of the couple while they were sleeping in bed. The Mayor of Durban, Mxolisi Kaunda, explained the situation to the media on Tuesday.

“They were a married couple, and while they were sleeping, part of a wall and the roof had collapsed on them. They were certified dead at the scene. As the municipality, we are doing everything we can to help support the families of the victims”

Mxolisi Kaunda

Durban floods: Death toll rises to three from adverse weather conditions

Following the storm, blue skies and bright sunshine shines over Durban on Tuesday. It’s a far cry from the widespread flooding that has destroyed a number of local communities and their facilities. Monday was a particularly bad day, as the highways were littered with accidents and delays amid treacherous driving conditions.

It’s the second tragic weather-related death to hit the city within a matter of days – a young boy was also electrocuted during a thunderstorm over the weekend.