National power supplier, Eskom, is currently implementing Stage 1 and 2 load shedding alternatively.
Eskom said Stage 1 load shedding will be implemented from 05:00 – 16:00 and Stage 2 will be implemented from 16:00 throughout the night until further notice.
TSHWANE LOAD SHEDDING SCHEDULE
The City of Tshwane has since updated its load shedding schedule for Wednesday, 30 November.
ALSO READ: SASSA social grants: Here are the December payment dates
Stage 2 (from midnight)
00:00-02:30 Group 4 & 8
02:00-04:30 Group 5 & 9
04:00-05:30 Group 6 & 10
Stage 2 (afternoon)
16:00-18:30 Group 12 & 16
18:00-20:30 Group 13 & 1
20:00-22:30 Group 14 & 2
22:00-00:30 Group 15 & 3
Here are some tips to mitigate against risks caused by load shedding:
- Make use of surge protection: Electric surges are one of the biggest causes of damage to equipment during a power outage. Installing a surge protection device can help minimise some damage in unforeseen situations. Have a surge protection device fitted to your electrical distribution board or, alternatively, at the power outlet to the electronic device.
- Ensure that your alarm system is working and the backup battery is fully functional to provide power to the system in the event of load shedding.
- Spare torch or headlamp: Keep a torch in your car in case you arrive home at night during a power outage. Most smartphones have built-in torch or torch apps, which come in handy during unexpected power outages.
- Charge your cellphone, laptop, and tablet: Ensure your cellphone, laptop, and tablet devices are fully charged ahead of scheduled blackouts. Be sure to charge them again as soon as possible after the power returns. It’s also a good idea to have an emergency phone charger (like a power bank) close by. This comes in handy during extended power outages.
- Gas for cooking and lighting: Get a small LP gas bottle and lamp. It gives good quality lighting for a large area and can also be used for cooking and boiling water. It’s a good idea to keep hot water in a thermal flask so that you can make hot drinks.