IPID suspect shot police

Photo: Pixabay

IPID: Man’s death at Limpopo police station to be probed

IPID says the man entered the Jane Furse police station in Limpopo and grabbed an officer’s firearm before holding them hostage

IPID suspect shot police

Photo: Pixabay

The Independent Police Investigative Directorate (IPID) is now looking into the circumstances surrounding the death of a man, at the Jane Furse police station in Limpopo.

The man allegedly entered the police station on Monday evening, 28 March 2022 and grabbed a firearm from an officer. He is then said to have held the police officers inside the station hostage.

“It is alleged that the deceased entered the Jane Furse police station on 28 March 2022 at about 8pm.He grabbed the firearm arm from the thigh holster of one of the police officers who was busy executing his Community Service Centre duties (CSC). He (the deceased) held police members hostage and promised to kill them,” said IPID spokesperson Lizzy Suping in a brief statement on Tuesday.

YOU CAN ALSO READ: WATCH: IPID probe Tembisa shooting – nurse shot seven times by police officer


IPID says members of its CSC unit were able to inform their counterparts about the hostage drama unfolding at the police station. Members of the Tactical Response Team, together with a hostage negotiator were brought in to handle the situation.

“The deceased refused to surrender following requests from the hostage negotiator. The Tactical Team entered the office, where the deceased was firing shots from, and police members retaliated”

IPID spokesperson Lizzy Suping

The man’s identity remains unknown at this stage and an inquest into his death has been opened. IPID adds that he was found in possession of used Nyaope sachets and an injection.

In December 2021, IPID in the Western Cape probed a case of death in police custody after a detainee died at a police station in Cape Town. The man had been arrested for assault. He was left alone in an office at a police station in Bellville, with his left arm cuffed to the security bars at the door.

Officers claimed they had left him alone to search for another suspect, but found him dead when they returned.