UK visitor visa allows range of activities

UK visitor visas allow many activities Image: Pixabay

UK visitor visas now allow THESE activities: See here

Holders of Standard Visitor visas are now allowed to be more than just tourists. See the activities permitted for visitors with these visas.

UK visitor visa allows range of activities

UK visitor visas allow many activities Image: Pixabay

Regarding UK visas, there is a change in the scope of permissible activities for visitors holding a Standard Visitor visa.

South African passport holders, like many other nationalities, require visas for entry to the United Kingdom. However, a standard visa now allows visa-holders to be more than just tourists in that country.

Changes to the country’s visitor visas mean that those with Standard Visitor visas can now engage in various activities.

ALSO READ: United Kingdom revokes visa-free travel agreement for THESE five countries


Previously, Standard Visitor visas limited the type of activity visitors to the United Kingdom were allowed to undertake.

According to the UK government website, standard visitor visas now cover a variety of different purposes:

  • Tourism (holiday or vacation trips)
  • Visiting family or friends
  • Volunteering for up to 30 days (with a registered charity)
  • Passing through the UK to another country (being in transit)
  • Taking part in a school exchange programme
  • Taking a recreational course of up to 30 days, for example, a dance course
  • Studying, doing a placement or taking an exam
  • Academic purposes (as a senior doctor or dentist)
  • Medical reasons

ALSO READ: United Kingdom lifts visa requirements for SIX countries: See here


However, there are still strict rules around forbidden activities for Standard Visitor Visas.

Visitors holding Britain’s Standard Visitor visas may not engage in the following:

  • Paid or unpaid work for a UK company or as a self-employed person
  • Claim public funds (benefits)
  • Live in the UK for long periods of time through frequent or successive visits
  • Marry or register a civil partnership, or give notice of marriage or civil partnership – you’ll need to apply for a Marriage Visitor visa.

ALSO READ: German citizenship: New law opens up claims for many