Meghan Markle, best known as The Duchess of Sussex is married to Princess Diana and King Charles’ youngest son, Prince Harry. Since going public with her relationship to Prince Harry, Meghan has garnered a lot of good and bad attention from the public and British media.
However, despite being bombarded by the press, and constantly facing public scrutiny, Meghan had a life before marrying into the Royal family.
As an actress, activist, entrepreneur Markle lived a vibrant life that wasn’t bounded by rules and regulations enforced by an institution. Don’t believe me? Here’s what Meghan Markle’s life was really like before she met Prince Harry.
ALSO READ: Princess Diana: 15 things to know about the ‘People’s Princess’
MEGHAN MARKLE’S LIFE BEFORE PRINCE HARRY
- She wasn’t always known as ‘Meghan”. Meghan Markle’s first name is Rachel and was born Rachel Meghan Markle.
- Meghan founded a lifestyle blog called The Tig, named after Tignanello wine. The blog featured articles and accounts on beauty, fashion and travel.
- According to Business Insider, The Duchess of Sussex double majored in Northwestern University. She majored in international relations and Theatre.
- She once interned at the US Embassy in Argentina. “By my junior year I had finished most of my credits, and I applied for an internship at the U.S. Embassy, so I ended up working in the embassy in Buenos Aires for a few months,” she said told Marie Claire in 2013.
- Meghan is a skilled calligrapher. While trying to break into the acting world, Markle tried to earn some extra money as a freelance calligrapher; her gigs included doing calligraphy for Dolce & Gabbana’s celebrity correspondence and for the invitations to Paula Patton and Robin Thicke’s wedding in 2005.
- She starred in hit TV series Suits.
- She got a major company to change a sexist advert when she was only 11-years-old.
- Meghan was briefcase #24 girl on Deal or No Deal. Before landing a lead role on hit TV series Suits, Meghan worked multiple on-camera gigs to stay afloat.
- The Duchess of Sussex designed a capsule collection with a Canadian fashion label, Reitmans.
- One of her best friends is tennis icon Serena Williams.
- The former actress is a huge foodie. Markle told Marie Claire in 2013 that Rachel, her Suits alter-ego, was created to be a foodie thanks to Markle’s own food-obsession. “I love to cook. My character is a foodie because they know that I’m a foodie. I’m always on the quest to find amazing new restaurants and new recipes”, she shared.
ALSO READ: Kate Middleton: 11 things to know about Princess of Wales
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE ARTICLES BY WANIQUE BLOCK