Mason Greenwood

Manchester United footballer Mason Greenwood will appear in court on Monday for a preliminary hearing on charges of attempted rape. Photo: AFP

Uncertainty hangs over Greenwood as career left in tatters

Embattled striker Mason Greenwood remains out of the picture at Manchester United as a new season looms.

Mason Greenwood

Manchester United footballer Mason Greenwood will appear in court on Monday for a preliminary hearing on charges of attempted rape. Photo: AFP

Last month it was confirmed that Manchester United striker Mason Greenwood has had his police bail extended once again as investigations continue.

He is currently out on bail, but remains under ongoing investigation based on charges related to the “rape and assault of a young woman” and “suspicion of sexual assault and threats to kill”.

More than six months after the shock allegations came to light, there has now been another application to extend his bail, which was duly granted after a hearing towards the end of June.

It was held in open court, and Greenwood did not have to attend.

However, there has been little further information that has been made public, and the only real certainty is that Greenwood remains indefinitely suspended by Manchester United until the police clarify its position on the case.

READ | MASON GREENWOOD CASE GOES QUIET: BUT HERE’S WHAT WE KNOW!

Recently, talk started to do the rounds on social media suggesting that he could soon be set to return to training with United, but these rumours were quickly and emphatically refuted.

Greenwood was one of United’s key players before the controversy, and according to the Telegraph, former interim manager Ralf Rangnick believed the 20-year-old was a top talent when it came to raw ability and “application on the pitch”. The report further states that Rangnick held the view that the youngster could be “moulded” into a superstar.

Greenwood has now missed more than 20 matches for Man United, and there is no sign of a return any time soon, with the playmaker last featuring for the Red Devils when he started in the 1-0 win over West Ham on 22 January.

United have reaffirmed their “strong condemnation” of violence after he was arrested, although the club are still said to be paying his full salary (reported to be £75,000-a-week) as the police investigation continues.

It will be interesting to see what stance Erik ten Hag takes as he steps into the new role as United’s manager. Whether or not the police decide to prosecute Greenwood, the 52-year-old manager may not want to risk any divisive presence in the squad.

The club made their new 2022-23 shirt available for sale a few days ago, but as the Daily Express points out, the store: “won’t enable fans to buy their new home shirt with Mason Greenwood’s name and number on the back.”

The 2022–23 Premier League fixtures were released on 16 June 2022, with United set to start with a home match against Brighton & Hove Albion on 7 August 2022.

CONFIRMED: MANCHESTER UNITED APPOINT ERIK TEN HAG AS NEW MANAGER

Greenwood has not spoken publicly since the story broke, but he was recently pictured for the first time since he was arrested, while a video has also emerged showing him being taunted by a ‘fan’.

A video shows a man seemingly shouting comments such as “quarantine” and “sh***y a**e” at Greenwood, who is is clearly exasperated by the interaction, and seemingly swipes his hand for the man to leave him alone.

If the video below doesn’t play, you can click here to watch it.

@simpshooter Greenwood confronted by traveller first time in public since the allegations #travellers #traveller #foryou #fyp #gypsy #bareknuckle #calthedragon #premierleague #premierleague #chelsea #masongreenwood #manchesterunited #manutd ♬ original sound – SimpShooter

READ | HARRIET ROBSON, MASON GREENWOOD CASE: WHO HAS SAID WHAT SO FAR!

Greenwood has not spoken publicly since the story broke, while there has also been no word from his legal representatives

Once an active user of Instagram, with 2.8million followers to his name, the youngster has not made a post since 25 January.

Recently, there has been some social media debate over the fact that his profile was still visible on Manchester United’s website, but United repeatedly reiterated that Greenwood’s status at the club remains unchanged.

“There has been no change whatsoever in Mason’s status,” the club said.

“We removed his profile from the club app soon after he was removed from the squad in January. This was in order to remove Mason from interactive elements of the app, such as team predictions etc.

“However, his profile was never removed from the website as he remains a Manchester United player, albeit not currently part of the squad while the legal process unfolds.”

READ | HARRIET ROBSON SHARES FIRST MESSAGE SINCE ARREST OF GREENWOOD