Mason Greenwood. Photo: EPA
There is still no clarity on Mason Greenwood’s future at Manchester United, but the club has reportedly turned down offers for the striker.
Mason Greenwood. Photo: EPA
*Note: This is an updated article on Greenwood
Earlier this year, it was reported that a variety of options are being considered in a possible phased return to Manchester United for Mason Greenwood.
This divisive talk came after it was dramatically confirmed that all attempted rape and assault charges were dropped against Greenwood after more than a year under investigation.
However, it still remains to be seen what actions United will take, with the only statement to date reading as follows: “The club will now conduct its own process before determining next steps. We will not make any further comment until that process is complete.”
ALSO READ | KAIZER CHIEFS POISED TO MAKE FOURTH MAJOR SIGNING
The 21-year-old remains contracted to United until the middle of 2025, but has not played for the Red Devils since January 22 last year. It’s expected that the club is still looking to ascertain his version of events, and have made use of specialists to assess his mental and physical state.
It’s now been widely reported in the UK press that the English giants have rejected offers for the youngster amid suggestions of a “change in the player’s mindset over his return to football”.
ALSO READ | SUNDOWNS CAN WIN THE LEAGUE THIS WEEKEND WITHOUT EVEN PLAYING!
The Athletic reported that United have received offers from clubs in Turkey to acquire the services of Greenwood while the club’s investigation continues, but these were apparently turned down.
It’s not clear whether this is because the Red Devils view the striker as part of their future, or if the offers simply weren’t worth consideration.
The article by The Athletic added that it’s believed the ordeal has changed Greenwood’s perception of what it means to play for United, but a massive backlash would be expected if he is allowed to return to the team next season.
ALSO READ | MESSI SPLASHES OUT NEARLY R4M ON GOLD IPHONES FOR TEAMMATES
According to an previous article by The Athletic, several options are on the table, ranging from terminating his contract to a possible phased reintroduction of Greenwood to the first team squad.
If he were to remain at the club, United would apparently look to take into account the views of fan groups, sponsors and the United women’s team at varying stages.
ALSO READ | ‘SHABBA’ SADDENED, BUT UNDERSTANDING OVER CHIEFS SITUATION
The club would also reportedly want Greenwood to take part in rehabilitation, which would involve counselling or therapy. Quite strangely, this may even include facing a TV interview “in which he is challenged on the events that have taken him to this point”.
Last month, it had also been reported that United manager Erik Ten Hag got in touch with the youngster over the phone after the case was dropped.
“The manager enquired how he was feeling physically and mentally and said he was pleased the charges had been dropped,” a source told The Sun.
It’s understandably also stated that Ten Hag will have a big say in whatever future decision is taken.
ALSO READ | SHOTS FIRED: SHOCK AL AHLY CRITICISM LEVELLED AT PITSO MOSIMANE
How much of a rugby fanatic are you? Answer these 5 simple rugby questions and stand the chance of winning R1 000 in cash!