Three people were killed in a multiple vehicle accident on the D2296 Road in Mbombela on Sunday afternoon.
THREE PEOPLE WERE KILLED IN THE HORRIFIC ACCIDENT
According to authorities, the road was still closed on Sunday evening.
Mpumalanga Department of Community Safety, Security spokesperson Moeti Mmusi said three vehicles were involved in head-on and sideswipe collisions on D2296 Road near the University of Mpumalanga turnoff towards Karino.
THE THREE PEOPLE WERE DECLARED DEAD ON THE SCENE
“The vehicles involved include two VW Polo hatchbacks and a Ford Ranger light delivery vehicle (LDV).
“The deceased include both drivers of the hatchbacks and one passenger. They succumbed at the scene on impact.”Moeti Mmusi
He furthermore said two passengers in the Ford Ranger light delivery vehicle escaped with slight injuries.
TWO OTHER PEOPLE WERE INJURED
“Although the investigation is underway, reckless driving is suspected of having caused the crash.”
ALSO READ: Man, aged between 30 and 35, killed in a truck accident in Benoni
WHAT TO DO AFTER AN ACCIDENT:
- Stop your car and stay at the scene
- Firstly, stop your vehicle and, in the interest of road safety, switch on your hazards to warn other drivers. Climb out of your car if it is safe to do so and check if anyone has been hurt. If you can, take pictures of the damage to all the vehicles involved in the incident.
- Help anyone who has been hurt
- While you can only be criminally charged for causing the accident and any resulting injuries. As a bystander, you have a moral obligation to help someone who has been hurt in a road accident. Help includes contacting an ambulance or rescue unit, even if the injuries do not appear to be serious. It’s critical that you don’t move the injured party and that you do not administer first aid unless you are qualified to do so.
- Get the details
- Record the information of everyone involved in the road accident, including personal details, vehicle registration numbers, tow-truck information, and insurance details. Take note of all road names, landmarks, intersections, and robots. You will have to draw a sketch and description of the accident on your police report and for insurance purposes.
- Report the accident
- Inform the police within 24 hours of the road accident. If the police come to the scene, don’t move anything until they say you may. Ensure that you get an Accident Report (AR) number, as this is needed for any insurance claim or third-party claim you may lodge.