Plane Crash Springs

Photo: Yusuf Abramjee

Springs plane crash: Fatal incident sparks emergency response

A plane crash near Springs Airfield on Wednesday night has led police to a grim discovery – here’s what we know about the rescue efforts.

Plane Crash Springs

Photo: Yusuf Abramjee

One person has died and another has been injured after their light aircraft slammed into the ground on Wednesday evening. Various authorities have confirmed that the deadly plane crash took place next to Springs Airfield, and the carnage was shared online overnight:

Springs plane crash: Everything we know so far

Netcare 911 were amongst the first responders to reach the Springs Airfield. Their medical team confirmed that there were only two people on board, and both have been accounted for. The injured party is still receiving hospital treatment, but sadly, the other patient was pronounced dead at scene.

Investigations have begun in earnest to establish what exactly caused this plane crash. The incident was reported just before 19:00 on Wednesday, as emergency services rushed to the site. Fire crews and police officers were also called out alongside paramedics and the Netcare team.

One dead as light aircraft crashes in Gauteng

Full details of the crash emerged on Thursday morning. Transport safety group Arrive Alive published a statement, explaining how the response to the crash unfolded. Hydraulic tools were needed to free the male patient from the wreckage, and his injuries have been deemed ‘critical’.

“At 18:45 yesterday evening Netcare 911 responded to reports of a plane crash in Springs. When Netcare 911 Paramedics arrived on scene they found an adult male and female still in the plane. The female patient who showed no signs of life was assessed however had sadly succumbed to her injuries.”

“The adult male patient was found to have sustained critical injuries and was treated on scene by an Emergency Care Practitioner while fire & rescue services used hydraulic tools to free him from the aircraft. Once stabilised the patient was flown by Netcare 911 Helicopter ambulance to hospital for further treatment.”

Arrive Alive