As winter tightens its grip around the country, police have urged people to be extra vigilant when trying keep themselves warm using different elements. This comes after a Mpumalanga man has lost his life due to smoke inhalation while his wife is fighting for her life in hospital. (mundonow.com)
ALSO READ: Boksburg gas leak: Death toll revised to 16
The alarm was raised by a concerned neighbour reported not seeing the couple all morning and went to go check in on the couple at 9am. He however found the husband and wife were showing no sign of movement and alerted law enforcement and paramedics.
The man was unfortunately certified dead by the medical team. Meanwhile the wife was taken by an ambulance to hospital for medical treatment.
An inspection by police revealed that there was fire in the house made out of coals, hence it is suspected that the couple could have inhaled smoke.
Provincial Commissioner Daphney Manamela has sent words of condolences whilst wishing a speedy recovery to the wife. The Commissioner has pleaded with members of the community to take extra precaution when using various items or equipment to warm themselves this winter season in order to prevent loss of life.
“Though it is very cold, we advice our people to rather ensure that there is ventilation by opening windows whenever they are using things like coals to make fire” says the Commissioner.