Siam Lee


Siam Lee murder case transferred to the Durban High Court

The murder-accused will now return to court in November.

Siam Lee


The man accused of murdering Durban woman, Siam Lee will now have his case heard at the High Court, East Coast Radio reports.

Philani Ntuli appeared in the Durban Magistrate Court on Friday, facing a string of charges including some relating to his ex-fiancee.

His appearance was rather brief as Public Prosecutor, Roshiela Benimadho told the magistrate that the case, which has been adjourned until November, will be transferred to the Durban High Court.

Twenty-year-old Lee’s burnt body was found at a sugar cane farm in New Hanover in the KwaZulu-Natal Midlands in January and was identified by a family member after she had gone missing for a week. Although her identity had an agonising wait to be confirmed by the police, as they waited for DNA results

She had disappeared on Thursday, 4 January and was last seen outside her place of work in Margaret Maytom Avenue in Durban North after being seen getting in a car with Gauteng licence plates.

Police arrested Ntuli in Hillcrest a week later and, in addition to kidnapping and murder, now faces a further 14 charges including crimen injuria and rape.

The businessman last appeared in court in June, where he was granted R40 000 bail on condition that he would have to report to the Alexandra police station in Pietermaritzburg every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, and also do the same when in Johannesburg, as he also has business interests there.

He was also ordered not to contact or communicate with State witnesses and asked to hand in any travel documents to cancel out the risk of him skipping the country.

In a previous court appearance prior to his bail hearing, Ntuli had accused police, as well as a private investigator involved in the case, of intimidation and attempting to coerce him into confessing to killing Lee.

Listen: #SiamLee: Chilling voice note played during bail hearing of accused