A KZN municipal worker was cutting grass on the side of the roadway when he accidentally struck an electrical wire.
WHAT HAPPENED ON FRIDAY MORNING?
According to Emer-G-Med spokesperson Kyle van Reenen, they received a call just after 10:30 on Friday morning.
“Just after 10h30 on Friday morning, Emer-G-Med paramedics responded to Z section Umlazi for reports of electrocution.
ALSO READ: A 12-year-old boy and uncle electrocuted while picking avocados
“Reports from the scene are that a man approximately thirty-eight years of age, was cutting the grass on the side of the roadway when he accidentally struck an electrical wire.”
THE MAN WAS DECLARED DEAD ON THE SCENE
He said the man was found in a critical condition, and advanced life support resuscitation efforts were exhausted for over forty-five minutes in an attempt to revive him; however, they were unsuccessful.
Van Reenen said the man was declared dead on the scene.
The South African Police Services were in attendance and will be conducting the necessary investigation accordingly.
ALSO READ: Four-year-old electrocuted by an illegal connection in George
WHAT TO DO IF SOMEONE RECEIVES A SHOCK
Here are seven ways to help someone who has been electrocuted:
- 1 Do not attempt to pull them from the electrical source with your bare hands. You may be electrocuted too.
- 2 Do not move someone who has been shocked unless they are still in danger of being shocked again.
- 3 Try to turn off the source of the electricity. If you can’t, remove the source of electricity from the person using a piece of insulating material, such as a length of wood.
- 4 Once you have removed the victim from the electrical source, check to see if the person is breathing and if they have a pulse.
- 5 If they show signs of shock, lie them down and, if possible, position the head slightly lower than the trunk with the legs elevated.
- 6 Don’t go near high-voltage wires until the power is turned off. Stay at least six metres away, farther if wires are jumping and sparking.
- 7 Call medical emergency services if the person has trouble breathing, loses consciousness, has seizures, muscle pain or numbness, or is feeling heart symptoms like a fast heartbeat.