Noonday gunner Dudley Malgas pension fund

Image via: @discoverctwc on Twitter

Retired Cape noonday gunner in five-month battle to receive pension

It’s been almost five months since chief petty officer Dudley Malgas fired the noonday canon on Signal Hill in Cape Town.

Noonday gunner Dudley Malgas pension fund

Image via: @discoverctwc on Twitter

Cape Town’s former noonday gunner, chief petty officer Dudley Malgas is yet to receive his pension, five months after retiring.  

According to Cape Talk, Malgas retired on 31 August 2019 after serving the state for 22 years. If you have ever heard a loud boom around midday in Cape Town, best to believe that was Malgas firing the canon on Signal Hill. 

Known as the city’s most iconic gunner, Malgas also served 39 years in the South African Navy. 

After years of dedicated service, he should be able to retire gracefully, however, he says he has been struggling every day, living from hand to mouth even though he was assured to be paid out three months after his retirement. 

“Nearly five months later, I haven’t received a cent from the government,” said Malgas. 

Noonday gunner left stranded by GEPF

Malgas says he’s been struggling to get straight answers from the Government Employees Pension Fund (GEPF) for five months. 

He explained that when you call the GEPF, you are directed to a call centre which then passes you from person to person. 

“I was told it’s (pension application) at the legal section, then I was told its at the finance section. That was on 18 January and it’s still there,”   

said Malgas

In an interview with Kieno Kammies, the radio host said they had tried to reach the GEPF on behalf of Malgas. Kammies said they were told that they “would look into it.” 

Noonday gunner’s life on hold 

According to the interview, Malgas had made plans according to when he thought he would be paid, which was three months after his retirement. 

“I was assured that the payout would be after three months. I had so many ideas of what I wanted to do,” he said. 

Extremely emotional and fighting back tears, Malgas said he has had to rely on friends and family for financial support due to having no income. 

“It is friends and family that keep me going,”

said Malgas

Malgas also said he has been forced to put his business ideas on hold, including plans to offer guided tours through the city.

“I wait for a message saying my money is in the bank but five months later and there’s still nothing,” he added. 

GEPF says he has been given a date managed to reach GEPF spokesperson Mack Lewele for comment. 

Lewele said they cannot stipulate when Malgas will be paid but said that they have spoken to him directly in the last 24 hours to provide him with a payment date.

“We can’t tell you when he will be paid,” said Lewele.