Wolfgat Nature Reserve

Twitter / NSRI

Man dies after attempting to save disabled teen from drowning at Wolfgat Nature Reserve

Prayers go out to the family of this brave man.

Wolfgat Nature Reserve

Twitter / NSRI

Vaughn Seconds, the station commander of the Strandfontein branch of the National Sea Rescue Institute (NSRI) revealed, on Wednesday, that a 29-year-old man died after attempting to save a young teen from drowning at the Wolfgat Nature Reserve in Mitchell’s Plain.

According to the NSRI respondents who arrived at the scene to assist with the situation, the 29-year-old man, together with the 13-year-old girl and another man believed to be in his 30s, had been pulled out of the surf.

ReadLaerskool Schweizer-Reneke: Concerned parents remove children amid tensions at school

It was around 16:34 when the City of Cape Town’s Lifesaving lifeguards were found performing cardio pulmonary resuscitation (CPR) on the 29-year-old man.

Wolfgat Nature Reserve: The scene of an obscure drowning incident

It is believed that he had dived into the water when he saw the young, disabled teenager, struggling to stay afloat.

“The 29 year old man was believed to have gone to her assistance but he got into difficulty,” Seconds stated.

Seeing the man and the teen struggling, the man believed to be in his 30s dived in the water, in an attempt to pull them out but also faced difficulties.

ReadFestive Season drownings spike after deadly weekend at sea

It is reported that it took the assistance of an unidentified male to get them all out of the water. However, his details were never taken down as he left the scene before the lifeguards arrived to attend tot he victims.

Unfortunately, the 29-year-old man could not be saved by CPR and passed away on the scene. According to Seconds, his family has been alerted of the incident and his body has been handed over to the forensic pathology services for postmortem examination.

The teenager and the man believed to be in his 30s have survived the ordeal. Seconds revealed that they were taken to a nearby hospital, in a critical but stable condition.