More listeriosis: Shoprite recalls new vienna brand after discovery

It looks like the listeriosis crisis is not exactly over. Shoprite has issued a recall on a brand of red viennas after discovering listeria in the product.


Just when you thought the listeriosis situation was starting to get sorted out, another recall comes out of nowhere from Shoprite. While all cold meats were always a worry, the main culprit this time seems to be red viennas and not some Enterprise polony.

On Friday, the Shoprite Group recalled a batch of Farmer’s Deli red viennas. The sausages were sold at multiple stores from the group’s perishable products section.

The recall came after a notification from a Winelands District environmental health practitioner revealed Listeria monocytogenes was identified in a batch of red viennas.

The Shoprite group has confirmed that further testing is now required to confirm the presence of harmful levels of listeria.

The results for this testing would take another five working days.

Shoprite has now removed all Farmer’s Deli Red and Smoked Viennas from its store shelves until the tests place the products in the clear.

The recall has been described as an added precautionary measure at this stage.

In a statement, Shoprite stressed that listeria monocytogenes is not the same as the Listeria ST6 that was found by the Department of Health in Enterprise’s factory.

“The production facility where this batch was packed has provided a full record of clean food safety tests which included testing for the presence of Listeria bacteria,” it said.

“The Shoprite Group has invited any concerned customers to return purchases of any Farmer’s Deli 500g and 1kg red and smoked Viennas products for a full refund.  Proof of purchase will not be required.”

The retailer has assured South Africans that its team of food scientists are working with the department to contain the Listeriosis outbreak.

Earlier in March, Enterprise’s parent company, Tiger Brands, issued a recall on all of its cold meats products. After initially not accepting that they were responsible, the group apologised after test results from the department were shared with them