Eight questioned over murder o

Photo credit: Unsplash

Eight questioned over murder of female police officer

Constable was shot and killed while dropping off a passenger near Ladysmith in KZN. Her service pistol and alleged murder weapon recovered.

Eight questioned over murder o

Photo credit: Unsplash

Eight people have been detained for questioning in connection with the murder of a female police constable in the Ladysmith area of KZN earlier in the week.

The suspects were taken in during a police operation on Friday involving the Newcastle Serious Organised Crime unit, working together with Crime Intelligence and Ladysmith Crime Prevention members.

Information received about illegal firearms

After they received information about unlicensed firearms, the team searched an area at Ezakheni Township, about 25km outside Ladysmith, and recovered the Z88 9mm service pistol belonging to the late Constable Thandekile Promise Sikhakhane, aged 35.

They then received further information that took them to Ladysmith, where another 9mm pistol suspected to be the murder weapon was also recovered.

Eight people are now being questioned.

The firearm will be sent for ballistic testing to determine if it was used in Constable Sikhakhane’s murder and any other crimes.

Deceased officer was dropping off passenger

A statement released by the Office of the Provisional Commissioner KwaZulu-Natal said Constable Sikhakhane was on her way to work on Tuesday when she gave a lift to two females from Ladysmith to Ezakheni Township.

Photo credit: SAPS

Upon dropping off the first passenger, they were allegedly approached by three suspects who fired several shots, fatally wounding the constable.

The suspects made off with her service pistol and she was declared dead at the scene.

Eight people storm Northern Cape police station

In a separate and unrelated attack on police, eight people have been taken into custody after they stormed the Roodepan police station in the Northern Cape armed with knives and demanded the release of two suspects being held there.

The pair had been arrested earlier in the day in relation to theft, assault on police, resisting arrest and possession of dangerous weapons.

The group that went to the police station to demand their release were themselves arrested and six knives were confiscated. One police officer sustained minor injuries.