That is it! Former president Jacob Zuma has finally arrived at the Estcourt Correctional Centre in KwaZulu-Natal.
The convoy of cars leaving the Nkandla homestead at high speed before midnight has just arrived at the correctional centre.
The Department of Correctional Services (DCS) confirmed that Zuma has been admitted to start serving a 15 months sentence at Estcourt Correctional Centre, KwaZulu-Natal.
“Mr. Zuma will be taken through all the admission processes as per DCS regulations. Other relevant prescripts pertaining to admitting and orientating newly incarcerated persons will also be followed and executed.
“Details about the appropriate classification, prerogatives and incarceration conditions can only be determined at the completion of the assessment process to be undertaken by relevant authorities within the employ of DCS,” Singabakho Nxumalo, the spokesperson said.
Lirandzu Themba, Police Minister Spokesperson, said they can confirm that Zuma was on the 7th July 2021, placed in the custody of the South African Police Service, in compliance with the Constitutional Court judgement.
Meanwhile, the Jacob Zuma Foundation said:
“Please be advised that President Zuma has decided to comply with the incarceration order. He is on his way to hand himself into a Correctional Services Facility in KZN.”
It is still unclear why an ambulance was called out to the homestead just before the convoy of cars left.
South Africans expressed their surprise on Twitter earlier on Wednesday evening after news had broke that Zuma has left his home to hand himself. This comes after his son Edward was adamant and vocal that his father would not be taken to jail.
Edward told media on Wednesday afternoon that they have beefed up security around the Zuma’s homestead in Nkandla and were armed with spears.
Edward was seen taking charge outside the gates of the Nkandla homestead as he instructed loyal supporters of his father to block the entrance to the homestead.
He furthermore inspected all vehicles that approached the gates.
Zuma was found guilty of contempt by the Constitutional Court last week and failed to hand himself over to authorities within the mandated five-day period, leaving Police Minister Bheki Cele with the right to enforce the arrest order.
Just hours before midnight the Jacob Zuma Foundation posted several tweets on Wednesday evening saying that they are “very concerned” about unfolding reports that the South African Police Service (SAPS) are ready to move in on Nkandla to take the corruption-accused ANC member to jail.
Legal council representing Zuma have just submitted a last-gasp application to the Constitutional Court pleading with them to suspend the arrest order.