The death toll in the fatal Boksburg tanker explosion has risen to 15 including three staff members at Tambo Memorial Hospital.
On Saturday, 25 December, a Liquid Petroleum Gas tanker caught fire when it got stuck under a bridge near Tambo Memorial Hospital in Boksburg, Ekurhuleni and ten people were declared dead.
LATEST ON THE BOKSBURG TANKER EXPLOSION
Minister of Health Dr Joe Phaahla and Gauteng MEC for Health and Wellness Nomantu Nkomo-Ralehoko held a joint briefing at Tambo Memorial Hospital in Boksburg on Sunday, 25 December.
- So far 13 Staff members are suffered injuries.
- This matter will be followed up by the Clinical Management and Employee Health Wellness Unit to determine injuries that occurred due to broken windows.
- Sadly three of the staff injured staff members have passed on. (A driver and two enrolled nurses who got severe burns).
- The severed staff injuries in the hospital affected people who were in the parking and members of the public outside.
- As of Saturday night at 18:00 the number of patients admitted in the facility is 321.
- No new patients have been admitted since then.
- The facility is on divert meaning that we are not taking patients. People are being diverted to other facilities nearby.
- The visit to the facility is suspended for a limited period. Family members have been asked to be patient.
Structural Damage to the hospital:
- Major structural damage was at the Accident and Emergency Unit and X ray Departments where server damage occurred. The roof was damaged, ceilings fell, widow broken, and other equipment damaged.
- Most of the minor structural damages were in the form of breaking of windows; ceilings fell off. In most of the floors where the windows were broken, it was observed that there was blood on the floor possibly of injured staff and or patients.
- The Casualty and Radiology Departments are not accessible until structural engineers have done their work
- Prohibition Notice was issued by the Department of Labour.
ALSO READ: Boksburg explosion: Truck driver survives fatal and gruesome accident