Today is World Emoji Day 2019 and to celebrate, here are some fun facts about this very unique day:
1.So, what is World Emoji Day exactly? World Emoji Day is an annual celebration of Emoji, which have become increasingly popular in texts and on Facebook since 1999.
2. Why is it celebrated on 17 July? Simply put, 17 July is famously displayed on the Calendar Emoji, which is why it was chosen as the date for World Emoji Day.
3. Every year creators of Emojipedia announce their annual Emoji awards which include the Best New Emoji, the Most Anticipated Emoji, an award for Excellence in Emoji Use and which emoji best represents the exact year the best. You can see the 2018 winners over here on Twitter.
4. In August 2013 Emoji was officially added to Oxford Dictionaries. The definition of Emoji in English: “A small digital image or icon used to express an idea or emotion.”
Also read: 230 new emojis to be released in 2019
5. Apparently, the most used Emoji on Twitter is the ‘laugh cry’ Emoji.
6. There’s even a World Emoji Day 2019 anthem: Watch it down here:
7. There are various World Emoji Day events taking place over the world today. It even has its very own Event on Facebook where you can share your event details.
8. It is said that the original 176 emojis for mobile phones and pagers released in 1999 are displayed in New York.
9. World Emoji Day is encouraging Emoji users to tweet their favourite emoji. Or tweet your favourite 50 emojis. There’s only one World Emoji Day, so make the most of it!
10. It is a global event. See how it is celebrated all over the world down here:
11. This year, Jeremy Burge of Emojipedia and Mark Davis, President of the Unicode Consortium will be discussing “the emergence, character and future of emoji” at a British Library event taking place on World Emoji Day 2019 in London.