Unmarried Partners and UK Visas

Unmarried Partners and UK Visas. Image Credit: AdobeStock

Unmarried Partners and UK Visas

Many persons are surprised to find out that you do not need to be married to a British citizen or person settled in the UK to apply for a so-called ‘spouse visa’.

Unmarried Partners and UK Visas

Unmarried Partners and UK Visas. Image Credit: AdobeStock

The UK Settlement Visa is also available to persons in long term relationships with British citizens or persons settled in the UK. 

Breytenbachs have answered some of the most FAQ on the UK Settlement Visa for Unmarried Partners. 

What are the requirements for the nature of the relationship for unmarried partners?

If you are unmarried partners, you must have stayed together in a relationship akin to marriage for at least two years. The relationship must be genuine, and you must intend to live together permanently. The relationship can be either heterosexual or between partners of the same sex. 

You must be able to prove your relationship. Your Breytenbachs consultant will be able to provide advice in this regard. 

What status must my partner have for me to apply for the settlement visa as an unmarried partner?

The main visa applicant has to have one of the following statuses: 

  • Irish or British citizenship; 
  • Settled status in the UK. Settled status can include Indefinite Leave to Remain, EU Settled Status or permanent residence. 
  • Or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme. 

Do unmarried partners also have to fulfil the Maintenance requirement of the UK Settlement Visa?

Yes, you have to fulfil the English Language requirement and the Maintenance requirement.  The maintenance requirement requires a minimum income threshold of £18,600 to sponsor the settlement of the spouse, partner, fiancé or proposed civil partner. There is also a higher threshold for any children sponsored. 

Fortunately, there are several ways in which the applicant can meet the financial requirement. Your Breytenbachs consultant will be able to advise you on how to prove this requirement. 

If my application for the visa is successful, will I be able to continue my work as an artist in the UK, or do I have to work in the formal job market?

If you are successful in your application, you can work in the UK without restriction. Working without restriction means that you can work for an employer, start your own business or combine employment and self-employment. There is thus no restriction on what you can do, and you will be able to continue your work as an artist. 

What happens if our relationship breaks down in the UK?

The UK Settlement Visa is granted based on your relationship with your partner. 

If your relationship with your UK partner or partner settled in the UK breaks down before you have obtained Indefinite Leave to Remain status, you will, unfortunately, have to leave the UK. Alternatively, you will have to apply for a UK visa in your own right. Please speak to your Breytenbachs consultant for further advice. 

How Breytenbachs can help you 

Breytenbachs have a team of immigration consultants dealing specifically with UK family visas. If you are interested in finding out more about the UK Settlement Visa, please do not hesitate to contact our team. They will be able to guide you through the process. 

Breytenbachs will also advise on the timelines of this application, as well as the availability of priority services to speed up your application at the Home Office. 

Contact us today to arrange a consultation at info@bic-immigration.com or visit www.bic-immigration.com 

Please note that the information in this article does not constitute professional advice. It is provided for general information purposes without any warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.