SABC and MultiChoice

The SABC and MultiChoice were in talks regarding broadcasting the Cricket World Cup 2023. Image via Instagram @multichoice_group/ @sabcportal

SABC, MultiChoice reaches deal to air the Cricket World Cup 2023

The SABC has finally reached a deal with MutiChoice (SuperSport) to broadcast the Cricket World Cup 2023 games.

SABC and MultiChoice

The SABC and MultiChoice were in talks regarding broadcasting the Cricket World Cup 2023. Image via Instagram @multichoice_group/ @sabcportal

 The South African Broadcasting Corporation SABC released a statement on Thursday, 5 October, and revealed that they had finally reached a sub-licensing deal with the rights holder, MultiChoice (SuperSport) to air the Cricket World Cup 2023 games.

THE SABC WILL AIR THE CRICKET WORLD CUP GAMES

Earlier this week, the SABC and Multichoice (SuperSport) failed to reach a deal to air the Cricket World Cup 2023 games. However, in a turn of events, that is no longer the case. In the statement, the SABC proudly announced that their deal with MultiChoice to air the tournament will enable them to fulfill their public service broadcaster’s mandate of broadcasting sports of national interest as well as ensure that all citizens with TVs in the country enjoy the Cricket World Cup 2023 spectacle.

“The SABC will broadcast all South African games, including the semi-final, final, and closing ceremony. The public can catch the Cricket World Cup 2023 for free on the following SABC platforms; SABC 3 (DSTV 193, DTT and Analogue), sabcsport.com, and SABC Plus,” the statement read.

The ICC Cricket World Cup 2023 began Thursday, 5 October. England lost against New Zealand in Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad. New Zealand romped to victory in 36.2 overs, beating England who is said to have posted a pretty pedestrian 282-9 from their 50 overs, Sky Sport reported.

ALSO READ: SABC rejects MultiChoice, will not broadcast the Cricket World Cup

SABC and MultiChoice
The SABC on broadcasting the Cricket World Cup 2023. Image via Instagram @ proteasmencsa

TAKE A LOOK AT SOME REACTIONS FROM CITIZENS BELOW…

“We don’t care. You said you won’t show it, we’ve already made other options,” @jayvee_marawu said.

“Opening match already took place bruv! A game that’s always important for any tournament,” @KB_Ramasimong replied.

“Ja we knew it was gonna happen, it has become the way you conduct business with @MultiChoiceGRP, waiting to squeeze the last penny out of us to pay for the Dstv premium banquet,” @mongezisomaza commented.

ALSO READ: Proteas chasing R77 million payday at Cricket World Cup