Qatar airways

Akbar al-Baker, Qatar’s Tourism Minister and CEO of Qatar Airways, gives a press conference regarding preparations for the Qatar 2022 FIFA World Cup, in the capital Doha on 26 May, 2022. – Qatar expects up to 200 000 air passengers a day during the World Cup, authorities said on 26 May, with airlines across the Gulf organising scores of shuttle flights to bring thousands in. In a major operation to cope with the four-week long football invasion, Baker said some routes to countries not involved in the 32-nation tournament would be halted and others reduced. Photo: KARIM JAAFAR / AFP

Qatar Airways, Airbus want $1 billion paintwork battle settled out of court

Qatar Airways and the leading plane maker wanted to settle $1 billion (about R15.6 billion) dispute out of court as each side claimed victory

Qatar airways

Akbar al-Baker, Qatar’s Tourism Minister and CEO of Qatar Airways, gives a press conference regarding preparations for the Qatar 2022 FIFA World Cup, in the capital Doha on 26 May, 2022. – Qatar expects up to 200 000 air passengers a day during the World Cup, authorities said on 26 May, with airlines across the Gulf organising scores of shuttle flights to bring thousands in. In a major operation to cope with the four-week long football invasion, Baker said some routes to countries not involved in the 32-nation tournament would be halted and others reduced. Photo: KARIM JAAFAR / AFP

Qatar Airways and Airbus both said they wanted to settle a bitter billion dollar dispute out of court after the latest hearing Thursday in which each side claimed victory.

The airline and leading plane maker have been fighting in the British courts for months over peeling paint on 23 A350 jets which have been grounded.

A London high court judge agreed Thursday to the airline’s demand for a speeded up trial schedule but refused to order Airbus to stop trying to resell jets intended for Qatar Airways to other airlines whilst they wait for a final ruling.

ALSO READ: Mourners demand immediate action after US school shooting

QATAR AIRWAYS

Qatar Airways chief executive Akbar Al Baker, in a rare public comment on the case, told reporters in Doha: “Every partnership has disputes and I just hope that this dispute could be resolved outside the courts of law.”

The airline, which is demanding about $1 billion (about R15.6 billion) in damages, said in a statement that it was “pleased” that the latest judgement called for an “expedited trial” and more details on the peeling paintwork that it has said is a threat to the A350’s lightning conductor.

“We will finally be able assess the cause of the damage to our aircraft and the expedited trial will provide a swift resolution of this unprecedented dispute.”

ALSO READ: Greece blocked 40,000 migrants at Evros this year: govt

QATAR AIRBUS

Airbus, which is counter-claiming for damages and has retaliated by suspending a $6 billion (about R93.4 billion) deal with Qatar Airways for 50 A321 planes, welcomed the judge’s refusal of the airline’s demand for the case to be split in two.

“The matter can now proceed with all due speed to focus on the main topic of the misrepresentation by Qatar Airways of safety and airworthiness of the A350 – which we will continue to defend,”

Airbus said in a statement.

But it also called for renewed efforts outside of court.

“Airbus continues to favour engagement and an amicable solution to resolve the dispute. The continued litigation is not in the interests of either party,”

it added.

Qatar Airways launched legal action last year seeking damages and a full inquiry into the defective surface.

Airbus insists it has fully accounted for the peeling paint and the European Aviation Safety Agency has said there is no threat to the A350’s airworthiness.

© Agence France-Presse