Boris Becker

Boris Becker will learn on Friday whether he faces a jail term after he was found guilty of charges relating to his 2017 bankruptcy. Photo: AFP

Boris Becker ’embarrassed’ by bankruptcy as bid to avoid jail continues

Former Wimbledon champion Boris Becker told a London court he felt “shocked” and “embarrassed” after being declared bankrupt.

Boris Becker

Boris Becker will learn on Friday whether he faces a jail term after he was found guilty of charges relating to his 2017 bankruptcy. Photo: AFP

Former Wimbledon champion Boris Becker told a London court he felt “shocked” and “embarrassed” after being declared bankrupt just days before the 2017 tournament at the All England Club.

READ | LLOYD HARRIS MOVES AHEAD OF ROGER FEDERER IN ATP TOUR RANKINGS!

The six-time Grand Slam winner said the negative publicity had damaged “brand Becker” and left him struggling to make enough money to pay off his debts.

Boris Becker was declared bankrupt in June 2017 and is currently on trial accused of failing to hand over assets including nine trophies and medals from his glittering tennis career.

READ | SHORT AND SWEET: FIVE HIGHLIGHTS FROM ASHLEIGH BARTY’S CAREER

The 54-year-old German said he had been seeking to pay off a more than £3 million loan from private bank Arbuthnot Latham, including through the sale of his estate in Spain.

The court heard the bankruptcy decision came days before Wimbledon, where Becker was working for the BBC as well as Australian and Japanese television stations.

“As you can imagine, I was very shocked at the fact. Because it was all over world news, and I walked through the gate of Wimbledon and everyone knew. I was embarrassed because I was bankrupt,” Becker said.

He told jurors the bankruptcy was also in the midst of a “stressful time” with his then wife Sharlely “Lilly” Becker, while they were living in “separate quarters” at his rented house in Wimbledon.

Describing an incident while he was commentating on the men’s quarter-final involving Roger Federer, he said: “My son called me saying my wife was breaking down the house – the furniture, the windows. The police came… while I was on site.”

Boris Becker, who arrived at court with his partner Lilian de Carvalho Monteiro, sat at the witness box on Monday to give evidence.

He said he faced damaging publicity “all around the world” but especially in Germany and the UK, which has affected his ability to earn.

“It is very difficult when you are bankrupt and in the headlines every week for it. It is very difficult to make a lot of money with my name,” he said.

Boris Becker has denied all charges

The former world number one, who was occasionally helped to give evidence by a German translator, denies 24 charges under the Insolvency Act.

READ | RAFAEL NADAL’S FRENCH OPEN PLANS IN DISARRAY AFTER RIB INJURY

They include nine counts of failing to hand over trophies and other awards, seven of concealing property, five of failing to disclose estate, two of removal of property and one of concealing debt.

He is accused of failing to hand over nine trophies, including two of his three Wimbledon men’s singles titles, an Olympic gold medal, his 1991 and 1996 Australian Open trophies and his Davis Cup trophy and gold coin.

By Garrin Lambley © Agence France-Presse