For example, did you know that he speaks four languages?
ALSO READ | Orlando Pirates: Would this be your MTN8 starting 11 tomorrow?
Get fired up and bet on all the drama of local diski
READ | Pirates vs Sundowns: Five things we guarantee will happen
READ | Our MTN8 semifinal score predictions
10 things you might not know about Benni McCarthy
- Benedict Saul “Benni” McCarthy was born in Cape Town and grew up in Hanover Park.
- Benni McCarthy is the first and only South African winner of the UEFA Champions League.
- On top of that, he also won domestic league titles in Portugal, the Netherlands and South Africa.
- McCarthy is Bafana Bafana’s all-time leading scorer with 31 strikes for the national team.
- Benni made his debut for South Africa in 1997 as a teenager under legendary manager Clive Barker.
- His playing career in Europe took him to Ajax, Celta Vigo, FC Porto, Blackburn Rovers and West Ham United.
- After he guided AmaZulu into the CAF Champions League in 2021, Benni was unofficially given the nickname Mr Benni Makathini, Zulu Warrior.
- Benni speaks four languages namely, English, Spanish, Dutch and Portuguese.
- McCarthy scored 18 goals in the 2006-07 Premier League season for Blackburn, ending as the second-top scorer. A certain Cristiano Ronaldo struck 17 times in that campaign.
- In October 2007, Benni McCarthy finished a sequence of scoring with 10 consecutive shots on target in the Premier League.
Finally, how can we ever forget when Benni collaborated with TKZee back in 1998?
It’s great to see one of South Africa’s favourite sons excelling in a senior coaching role at one of Europe’s most followed clubs.
READ | Kaizer Chiefs: Five things we guarantee in the MTN8 semifinals
Get fired up, alongside SA’s most passionate fans, and bet on the very best South African football in the PSL. Sign up with Betway today and you’ll get up to R1,000 as a Sports Welcome Bonus – perfect for placing a bet on all the drama of local diski.
READ MORE from sports specialist James Freemantle