Mason Greenwood and Harriet Robson. Photo: Twitter
Mason Greenwood and Harriet Robson. Photo: Twitter
A police investigation remains underway after young England and Manchester United striker Mason Greenwood was arrested following allegations of domestic abuse, which came to light after disturbing social media posts appeared on the Instagram account of one-time girlfriend Harriet Robson.
The images revealed bruises and cuts on her body and a caption stating: “To everyone who wants to know what Mason Greenwood actually does to me”.
The series of disturbing posts clearly indicated a case of serious domestic abuse, while an audio clip also emerged that implicated Greenwood in abusive and threatening behaviour.
The 20-year-old was arrested when the images and allegations became public at the end of January, while further charges were levelled against Greenwood based “on suspicion of sexual assault and threats to kill” before he was later released on bail.
Greenwood has been indefinitely suspended from Manchester United duties as police continue to investigate the allegations, but he is still being paid his full salary.
Although there have been limited updates on the case during the month of February, The South African has closely followed the story, and will continue to provide further information as it becomes available.
Understandably, the case has drawn plenty of reaction on social media, and below we take a closer look at some of the comments and responses.
Although some social media posts have suggested that Greenwood’s talents as a player have been missed by Man United and that he is “innocent until proven guilty”, there has also been widespread condemnation related to the serious allegations.
Many have questioned how he can continue to be paid £267 850 (R5.5 million) in wages, while it’s also been highlighted how supporters in a recent game between United and Leeds engaged in back-and-forth chants about Greenwood.
Below are just some of the recent posts on social media related to the case:
30 January: Pictures, an audio clip and a video appear on social media showing Robson bruised and bloodied. The images are later deleted from her account, but spread like wildfire across social media.
30 January: Soon after the incident came to light, Manchester United release a statement to say “we are aware of images and allegations circulating on social media”. Later on that Sunday, United confirm Greenwood has been suspended indefinitely: “Mason Greenwood will not return to training or play matches until further notice.”
30 January: According to overseas website Joe.co.uk, Robson’s father subsequently releases a statement revealing that Robson’s phone was ‘hacked’ and that she didn’t want the pictures to be released. “She has told us her phone has been hacked. We told her to take it down, which she has done but it’s out there now so it is too late,” Robson’s father was quoted as saying by Joe.co.uk. “She is devastated because she didn’t want it released. We have known him (Greenwood) since the under 21s. He has been part of our family for two or three years. Their relationship has not been good for the last few months. She is completely devastated by it all.”
30 January: On Sunday night, news emerges that Greenwood has been arrested on “suspicion of rape and assault”, with the Greater Manchester Police (GMP) stating they had been granted more time to question him.
31 January: Further charges are levelled against Greenwood based “on suspicion of sexual assault and threats to kill”.
1 February: United release a new statement following developments, saying: “Manchester United reiterates its strong condemnation of violence of any kind. As previously communicated, Mason Greenwood will not train with, or play for, the club until further notice.”
2 February: The 20-year-old Greenwood is released on bail while a police investigation continues.
3 February: Manchester United allow supporters who have purchased shirts with Greenwood’s name printed on them to change them for another shirt and name of their choice.
4 February: Harriet Robson expresses gratitude for support after Greenwood arrest in her first public comment since the story came to light. “The last few days have been very difficult and I’m taking a break from social media while the police make their investigations,” she writes.
7 February: Nike confirms that it has terminated its endorsement agreement with the England and Manchester United striker.
8 February: Reports suggest that the Man United changeroom has been divided over the manner in which the Greenwood case has been handled by the club, while players including Edinson Cavani, Cristiano Ronaldo and Victor Lindelof are said to have cut off the 20-year-old from social media.
11 February: It’s reported that Greenwood will receive no compensation after being dropped from his Nike sponsorship deal, but will continue to be paid his £75,000-a-week salary from United pending the outcome of any criminal proceedings.
24 February: Reports emerge to suggest Greenwood has been paid £267 850 (R5.5 million) in wages since being suspended by the club on rape allegations.
25: Nearly a month since the allegations came to light, the police investigation is said to be ongoing.
*Content warning: This article contains graphic images and viewer discretion is advised.