Looking to take your sport ove

Looking to take your sport overseas, here’s how to get the ball rolling!

For many South Africans, playing sports at club level in the UK is the ultimate dream. Applying for your Tier 5 sport visa is the first step to realising that dream and here’s how.

Looking to take your sport ove

South Africans have and always will be sport enthusiasts – and one of the ultimate dreams for many South Africans is the opportunity to play sports in the UK at club level.

Before getting on the plane, however, there are some administrative hassles that need to be sorted out. One of these is getting the right type of UK visa.

South African passport holders who want to come to the UK to play sports for up to 12 months, need to apply for the Tier 5 (Temporary Worker) visa. This immigration category has a sub-category for sportspersons who want to play sport in the UK for up to 12 months.

(There is also an immigration category for professional sportspersons under Tier 2, but for the purpose of this article we will only discuss the shorter term Tier 5 visa).

The spouse/partner and any dependent children will be able to accompany the main applicant to the UK.

In order to be eligible to qualify under this UK immigration category, you need to make a significant contribution at your sport at the highest level in the UK. The club/employer offering the opportunity needs to be a licensed employer and be able to provide the applicant with a certificate of sponsorship.

In cases where the employer does not have a sponsorship licence, Breytenbachs Immigration Consultants (BIC) will be able to assist in obtaining the necessary for the employer.

The applicant will have to prove that he/she will be able to support him/herself, except in circumstances where the employer is a fully approved A-rated sponsor, and certifying the maintenance requirement. In cases where a spouse/partner or any dependents accompany the main applicant, he/she will also have to provide proof of the maintenance requirement for them.

Applicants will be liable to pay the newly introduced UK health surcharge as part of the application. The cost of this will be £200 for 12 months, and an additional charge for dependents.

South African applicants will also have to do the required tuberculosis test. The testing must be done at a clinic approved by the UK Home Office. If you are free of TB, you will be issued with a certificate to this effect, which must then be submitted together with the UK visa application. The certificate will be valid for six months.

To get the ‘ball rolling’, contact your BIC consultant today in order for them to determine whether you meet the requirements before applying. They will take the pain and hassle out of your application and provide you with the peace of mind that your case is in safe hands!

www.bic-immigration.com or info@bic-immigration.com