police school Two killed, child critically injured in Eastwood House fire police

Photo: Pixabay.

Two killed, child critically injured in Eastwood House fire

Paramedics said two people were killed and a child critically injured in a house fire in Eastwood in the early hours of Saturday.

police school Two killed, child critically injured in Eastwood House fire police

Photo: Pixabay.

Two people were killed and a child critically injured when they sustained burns and suffered smoke inhalation in a house fire in Eastwood.


Mi7 National Group Emergency Services said they were dispatched to Eastwood in Pietermaritzburg in the early hours of Saturday after reports of a house fire.

“Mi7 paramedics found a house ablaze, with three people lying alongside it. Paramedics were rushed to one patient, an 11-year-old boy, who had sustained serious burns and suffered smoke inhalation.

“Paramedics quickly worked to stabilize the boy, administering Advanced Life Support procedures before placing him on a ventilator.”


Mi7 said in a statement that with the assistance of an emergency escort by Mi7 Strategic Threat Response units, the boy was rushed to a local hospital in a critical condition on board a Mi7 ambulance.

“Community members had tried their best to resuscitate the two remaining people, who had also sustained burns and suffered smoke inhalation before medics arrived. Unfortunately, they had succumbed to their injuries.”


Both injured people were declared dead on the scene.

“Reports at 7:00 this morning indicate the boy had been taken into ICU. We offer our sincere condolences to the deceased’s loved ones and pray the young boy makes a speedy recovery.”

ALSO READ: Tshwane: Securities shot, vehicles catch fire during CIT robbery


How can you practice candle safety? Whether you burn every day or just occasionally, here’s how to “candle” with care:

  • Trim the wick. Before lighting a candle, trim the wick to be approximately ¼ inch. This will keep the flame from becoming too large, which can ultimately help prevent a home fire.
  • To light, it, use a long match or long lighter. Those who play with fire often get burned. Literally, to keep your hand from getting too close to the flame, always use a long match or long lighter.
  • Then, dispose of the match properly. Even if there’s no flame, there’s still heat. So, believe it or not, you can actually start a fire just by throwing a match in the trash, especially if flammable materials like tissues and paper surround it. That’s why we recommend running used matches underwater (to cool them down) before tossing them out. However, you can also let them come to room temperature on a flame-resistant dish.
  • Keep the candle in your sight. When there’s a lit candle in the room, you should be there, too. After all, keeping it close by is just one of the ways to keep damage from happening. For example, let’s say you lit a candle in the kitchen and then wandered away. If your candle accidentally caught something on fire, you might not know until it’s too late. Staying within the line of sight will help you see if it needs immediate attention.
  • Pick the perfect spot for the candle. The best place to burn a candle is on a stable, heat-resistant surface. So, in addition to keeping your candle in sight, you should find an area away from children, pets, windows or drafts, and flammable materials (like furniture, curtains, carpeting, paper, etc.). This will help reduce the risk of candle catastrophes. (Wondering why you should be worried about windows? Here are the facts: A draft from a window or thinly insulated area can actually carry a flame, causing surrounding items to catch fire.)
  • Don’t burn for more than four hours. When your candle is burning, carbon collects on the wick. Letting it go for too long can cause the wick to become unstable and the flame to get too large.
  • Extinguish appropriately. Suffocate the flame, and prevent hot wax splatters in the process.