Eskom is currently implementing Stage 6 load shedding until 05:00 on Friday, 9 December.
The power utility said Stage 6 will be reduced to Stage 5 on Friday. This is due to breakdowns of generating units at Grootvlei power station as well as a unit each at Camden, Duvha, Kendal, Kriel and Tutuka power stations.
TSHWANE LOAD SHEDDING SCHEDULE
The City of Tshwane has since updated its load shedding schedule for Thursday, 8 December 2022.
00:00-02:30 Group 6,10,14,2,5,9
02:00-04:30 Group 7,11,15,3,6,10
04:00-05:30 Group 8,12,16,4,7,11
05:00-06:30 Group 8,12,16,4,7
06:00-08:30 Group 9,13,1,5,8
08:00-10:30 Group 10,14,2,6,9
10:00-12:30 Group 11,15,3,7,10
12:00-14:30 Group 12,16,4,8,11
14:00-16:30 Group 13,1,5,9,12
16:00-18:30 Group 14,2,6,10,13
18:00-20:30 Group 15,3,7,11,14
20:00-22:30 Group 16,4,8,12,15
22:00-00:30 Group 1,5,9,13,16
ALSO READ: Confirmed: Stage 6 load shedding until Friday, Stage 5 after that
Here are some tips to mitigate against risks caused by load shedding:
- Make use of surge protection: Electric surges are one of the biggest causes of damage to equipment during a power outage. Installing a surge protection device can help minimise some damage in unforeseen situations. Have a surge protection device fitted to your electrical distribution board or, alternatively, at the power outlet to the electronic device.
- Ensure that your alarm system is working and the backup battery is fully functional to provide power to the system in the event of load shedding.
- Spare torch or headlamp: Keep a torch in your car in case you arrive home at night during a power outage. Most smartphones have built-in torch or torch apps, which come in handy during unexpected power outages.
- Charge your cellphone, laptop, and tablet: Ensure your cellphone, laptop, and tablet devices are fully charged ahead of scheduled blackouts. Be sure to charge them again as soon as possible after the power returns. It’s also a good idea to have an emergency phone charger (like a power bank) close by. This comes in handy during extended power outages.
- Gas for cooking and lighting: Get a small LP gas bottle and lamp. It gives good quality lighting for a large area and can also be used for cooking and boiling water. It’s a good idea to keep hot water in a thermal flask so that you can make hot drinks.