Eskom has downgraded load shedding from Stage 4 to Stage 2 until 16:00 on Saturday, 31 December 2022.
The embattled power utility said load shedding will then be suspended until 05:00 on Monday, 2 January thereafter Stage 2 load shedding will be implemented until further notice.
TSHWANE LOAD SHEDDING SCHEDULE
The City of Tshwane has updated its load shedding schedule for Saturday, 31 December 2022.
00:00-00:30 Group 16,4,8,12
02:00-04:30 Group 1,5,9,13
04:00-05:30 Group 2,6,10,14
05:00-06:30 Group 2,6
06:00-08:30 Group 3,7
08:00-10:30 Group 4,8
10:00-12:30 Group 5,9
12:00-14:30 Group 6,10
14:00-16:30 Group 7,11
ALSO READ: KFC forced to shut outlets in South Africa thanks to load shedding
Here are some tips to mitigate against risks caused by load shedding:
- Make use of surge protection: Electric surges are one of the biggest causes of damage to equipment during a power outage. Installing a surge protection device can help minimise some damage in unforeseen situations. Have a surge protection device fitted to your electrical distribution board or, alternatively, at the power outlet to the electronic device.
- Ensure that your alarm system is working and the backup battery is fully functional to provide power to the system in the event of load shedding.
- Spare torch or headlamp: Keep a torch in your car in case you arrive home at night during a power outage. Most smartphones have built-in torch or torch apps, which come in handy during unexpected power outages.
- Charge your cellphone, laptop, and tablet: Ensure your cellphone, laptop, and tablet devices are fully charged ahead of scheduled blackouts. Be sure to charge them again as soon as possible after the power returns. It’s also a good idea to have an emergency phone charger (like a power bank) close by. This comes in handy during extended power outages.
- Gas for cooking and lighting: Get a small LP gas bottle and lamp. It gives good quality lighting for a large area and can also be used for cooking and boiling water. It’s a good idea to keep hot water in a thermal flask so that you can make hot drinks.