Former SSA spy boss, Thulani Dlomo was released without being charged after he handed himself to police over safety concerns.
Thulani Dlomo, an ex-high ranking member of the State Security Agency (SSA) has been released without being charged. He had handed himself over to the South African Police Service in Durban, KwaZulu-Natal on Friday, 16 July.
Dlomo, who is believed to have close ties to former President Jacob Zuma, was identified by the media as one of the 12 individuals wanted by the government for allegedly instigating the violence in KZN and Gauteng.
Dlomo went to the Durban Central Police Station late on Friday and surrendered himself to the custody of the authorities, according to SABC News. He was accompanied by his lawyer Phumlani Shangase.
Speaking outside the police station, Dlomo’s lawyer said his client is a free man for now but is concerned by the unfounded allegations against him.
“He views the allegations as malicious, hence he reserves the right he has to take whatever action to clear his name.”
Earlier on Friday, Dlomo issued a statement that denied his involvement in the unrest and challenged those who allege that he is one of the 12 alleged instigators to back up their claims.
“I am calling upon Mr [Zizi] Kodwa to withdraw his statement and stop peddling lies about me, failing which I will instruct my attorneys for a claim of significant damages against him personally,” said the statement.
Kodwa told TimesLIVE that he never said Dlomo was an instigator and merely said that there were claims that former SSA members were behind the unrest. “I never at any point gave names,” said Kodwa. “I am not sure why he thinks he can make such a statement, which I did not make.”
The former ambassador is also demanding an apology from News24 and Daily Maverick for allegedly publishing a “blatant lie” that put the safety of his family and himself at risk.