Since 28 October 2013, all applicants for settlement (Indefinite Leave to Remain) in the UK, as well as UK citizenship are expected to fulfil two requirements, unless exempt;
- To pass the Life in the UK test; and
- To have an English speaking and listening qualification at the B1 Common European Framework of Reference for languages (CEFR).
This is known as the KoLL requirement — Knowledge of Language and Life requirement.
Persons who are nationals of majority English speaking countries, and those who have obtained a degree taught in English will not be required to take the English test. In this regard it is important to note that South Africa is not reckoned to be a majority English speaking country.
It is possible to fulfil the English language requirement in two ways;
- If your degree was taught in the UK, you will automatically fulfil the English language requirement. If taught in another country, and you can prove that it is equivalent or at a higher standard than a UK bachelor’s degree, and evidence that it was taught in English, you will fulfil the requirement. This evidence can be obtained via UK NARIC; or
- An applicant will have to pass an English speaking and listening qualification, with an approved provider, at the Level B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for languages (CEFR).
Certain persons are exempted from the KoLL requirement, this inter alia include;
- Children under 18 years of age;
- Persons aged 65 years and older;
- Persons who have a physical or mental condition which restricts their ability to learn English and/or communicate and/or to take the Life in the UK test;
- Persons on the adult dependent relative, and retired person of independent means migration routes;
- Spouses of British citizens or persons settled in the UK who have been victims of domestic violence or whose spouse has died.
For further information or for assistance with your application, please contact one of consultants who will be able to provide specific information in your unique case.
Director of BIC, Breytenbachs Immigration Consultants Limited.
www.bic-immigration.com or email@example.com
Things to keep in mind between receiving ILR and applying for British citizenship — good character
Legally Speaking | Rights of residence in the event of the breakdown of a marriage
Legally Speaking | Beware! Immigration Scams