Photo: Twitter/Redi Thlabi
Photo: Twitter/Redi Thlabi
Following the brutal murder of senior Gauteng Human Settlements official Taboho Makhoa on Saturday, the Department has called for law enforcement agencies to bring those responsible to justice.
Makhoa was gunned down early on Saturday morning in Spruitview, Gauteng, with 28 shots fired at his vehicle. He was actively involved in RDP housing projects overseen by the Gauteng Human Settlements Department prior to his untimely death.
In a statement released on Sunday 6 June, the Gauteng Department of Human Settlements said that they are in shock having learnt of Makhoa’s “senseless killing”.
“The Gauteng Department of Human Settlements has learned with shock about the senseless killing of a senior official based in its Ekurhuleni Regional Office. Teboho Makhoa was brutally murdered in Spruitview on Friday night when 28 bullets were fired at his vehicle,” they said.
“We call on law enforcement agencies to do their work and apprehend the killers, we also call on members of the community to refrain from speculating and spreading misinformation.”
Earlier on Sunday, South African Police Service (SAPS) spokesperson Captain Mavela Masondo confirmed the incident, saying that the motive for the killing remains unknown at this stage.
“At the drivers seat police found a man with gunshot wounds. The car had bullet holes on the side of the driver. Paramedics were called and the victim was certified dead,” he said.
Masonda urged members of the public to come forward with any information that may assist investigators in tracking down those responsible for Makhoa’s murder.
“Police are appealing to anyone who might have information that can help in the investigation or assist apprehend the suspects to please contact the nearest police station or call crime stop on 08600 10111,” he said.
The Department insisted that the killing of Mokhoa will not deter it from carrying out some of the “tireless work” that the murdered official and his colleagues have done in relation to RDP housing issues in the province.
“This cowardly act will not deter us from our mandate to provide quality housing opportunities to those who deserve it the most.” Said Gauteng MEC Lebogang Maile.
“Teboho Makhoa and colleagues in the Regional Office were working tirelessly to allocate the rightful beneficiaries into their RDP houses, remove illegal occupants from occupied RDP houses and prevent future occurrences of land and house invasions in the Region,” he added.
“On behalf of the Gauteng Executive, we would like to send our deepest condolences to the family, colleagues and friends of Teboho Makhoa.”