Ditebogo Phalane

Ditebogo Phalane with his father. Image: X/Gift Makoti

Soshanguve shooting: Gayton McKenzie offers R250k reward

Five-year-old Ditebogo Junior Phalane was shot and killed by suspects who ambushed his father as he entered their home in Soshanguve.

Ditebogo Phalane

Ditebogo Phalane with his father. Image: X/Gift Makoti

Patriotic Alliance (PA) leader Gayton McKenzie has offered a R250 000 reward for information on suspects who allegedly shot and killed a five-year-old boy in Soshanguve block UU.

The incident reportedly happened on Friday night, 10 May.

R250K REWARD FOR INFO SUSPECTS WHO KILLED YOUNG BOY IN SOSHANGUVE

As previously reported by The South African, South African Police Service (SAPS) spokesperson in Gauteng Lieutenant Colonel Mavela Masondo said they have opened a case of murder and hijacking and are searching for the suspects.

“An unconfirmed number of armed suspects allegedly hijacked the father’s white Toyota bakkie and shot the five-year-old boy who later died in hospital,” Masondo said.

The incident has sparked outrage on social media platforms. Many have called on government to consider bringing back the death penalty as there is a surge in violent crime in the country.

The incident also comes just days after popular MC and DJ Peter “Mashata” Mabuse was also brutally murdered in Soshanguve.

Following the unfortunate incident, PA leader Gayton McKenzie took to X to offer a R250 000 reward.

“I will be giving a 250 thousand rand reward to anyone with information of the guilty party. Pls DM me personally here on twitter. We must find them. I know someone knows who is responsible,” he wrote.

FAMILY SPOKESPERSON DETAILS HOW INCIDENT HAPPENED

Speaking to TimesLIVE, family spokesperson Gift Makoti said the father rushed his unresponsive son to the nearest hospital and unfortunately the five-year-old boy was declared dead.

“He does say that the child was unresponsive when he took him to the hospital, hoping he would get help. The hospital could not save the boy and he was declared dead. At the moment the family is deeply distraught because it’s a young couple, they are in a state of shock and overwhelmed,” Makoti told the publication.

Furthermore, Makoti said he believes the people who hijacked the distraught father knew his patternss as he reportedly doesn’t reside in Soshanguve on a full time basis.

“He doesn’t live in Soshanguve full time because of his work — he is in Polokwane and he comes home on Thursdays or Fridays. I am convinced these people knew his patterns, that he was coming back home,” he told TimesLIVE.