Senzo Meyiwa trial

The five men on trial for the murder of Senzo Meyiwa. Image: Nokwanda Ncwane/The South African.

Senzo Meyiwa trial: Ntanzi was not assaulted or coerced to make a confession, court hears

A witness in the Senzo Meyiwa murder trial has revealed that Bongani Ntanzi was calm and relaxed when he made a confession.

Senzo Meyiwa trial

The five men on trial for the murder of Senzo Meyiwa. Image: Nokwanda Ncwane/The South African.

Magistrate Vivian Cronje says Senzo Meyiwa murder accused Bongani Ntanzi confirmed that he was not assaulted nor threatened by police to make a confession when he decided to do so.

Cronje revealed this as she testified at the trial-within-a-trial at the Gauteng High Court in Pretoria on Tuesday, 17 October.

BONGANI NTANZI WAS NOT UNDER DURESS WHEN HE MADE HIS CONFESSION

The trial-within-a-trial looks into the admissibility of confessions made by accused 1 and 2 Muzikawukhulelwa Sibiya and Bongani Ntanzi. The latter is said to have made two confessions; one to a magistrate and a police officer.

On Tuesday, Magistrate Vivian Cronje told the court that she was approached by a senior magistrate in Vosloorus to take down a confession on 24 June 2020.

Upon her arrival at the Boksburg Magistrates Court she met with Ntanzi and his lawyer who introduced himself as Mr Mjiyako.

Cronje said after going through the standard questions and interpreting everything to Ntanzi, he signed all the pages in the presence of Mjiyako and the interpreter.

The magistrate also told the court that before taking down the confession he cautioned Ntanzi that he is not forced to make a statement as it could be used against him in court and that he has a right to remain silent. However, Ntanzi insisted that he wants to make the confession and Cronje went on to record it even though the deponent and the others were not informed.

Ntanzi Senzo Meyiwa
The five men accused of the murder of Senzo Meyiwa. Image: Nokwanda Ncwane /The South African

ALSO READ: Senzo Meyiwa trial: Another delay as accused bolster their defence

SENZO MEYIWA MURDER ACCUSED HAD NO FRESH/VISIBLE INJURIES

Ntanzi previously claimed that he was assaulted by police and was forced to sign the confession statement, however Cronje told the court that Ntanzi was asked if he had any injuries and if he does he should show them.

“His answer was no, except for old injuries he sustained underground and the one he sustained when he was young,” she said.

ALSO READ: Meyiwa trial: Bail hearing of accused 2, Bongani Ntanzi, postponed

Newly appointed Advocate Thulani Mngomezulu insisted that Ntanzi’s confession was made under duress and that he (Ntanzi) did not sign the statement in Cronje’s presence.

Witnesses who have testified in court have pointed Ntanzi as one of the two alleged intruders who entered singer Kelly Khumalo’s home in Vosloorus on 26 October 2014 and was involved in a tussle with Meyiwa. Recently, police officer Constable Sizwe Zungu also testified that he was with all the five accused at a hostel in Vosloorus the day Meyiwa was shot and killed.

Zungu told the court that Sibiya, Ntanzi and Mncube disappeared at night and came rushing back to his nephew’s room carrying guns and Sibiy told him that Meyiwa was no more. He added that Ntanzi quickly changed into a different hoodie jacket as soon as they came back.

Five men are on trial at the Gauteng High Court in Pretoria for the murder of the soccer star, Muzikawukhulelwa Sibiya, Bongani Ntanzi, Mthobisi Prince Mncube, Mthokoziseni Maphisa and Fisokuhle Nkani Ntuli. They face charges of premeditated murder, attempted murder, robbery with aggravated circumstances, possession of firearms without a licence and possession of ammunition. All five men pleaded not guilty as the trial has started afresh under Judge Ratha Mokgoatlheng.

The trial continues.

ALSO READ: Senzo Meyiwa trial: Zungu wraps up testimony sticking to his guns

CLICK HERE TO READ MORE ARTICLES BY NOKWANDA NCWANE