schools ramaphosa address

Image via: Adobe Stock

Having trouble getting your child into a school? Here are a few useful tips

If you’ve been struggling to get a child into school, don’t worry. The education department has released a contact list that could be of great use to you.

schools ramaphosa address

Image via: Adobe Stock

The Department of Basic Education (DBE) said all children between the ages of seven and 15 are compelled to attend school. It added that parents and guardians should ensure that all learners of this age are registered to go to school and that their children attend school regularly. This, however, hasn’t been as easy for some, hence the department has listed the contact details of Provincial Learner Admissions Coordinators that could be of great help.  


The DBE said it is the responsibility of every parent and guardian to ensure that their children are registered for the following year, well before the end of the current year.  

“Parents may register children who are supposed to start school next year, near their home or workplace between April and October of each year. It is however important to check the registration deadlines of individual provinces,” it said. 

If you’re having trouble with the process though, you can get in touch with the relevant provincial admissions coordinators as listed below: 

  • Eastern Cape: Mr Mbuyiseli Sandi

(040) 608 4764

  • Free State: Mr Thloriso Motholo

0514474038 |

  • Gauteng: Ms Mmule Madonsela 

011 355 0640

  • KwaZulu-Natal: Mr Eric Manganyi 

(033) 341 8647

  • Limpopo: Mr M R Rasethaba

(015) 290 9420

  • Mpumalanga: Ms N Mthethwa 

013 766 0904/0996

  • Northern Cape: Mr B White

(053)839 6661

  • North West: Dr M Teu

018 397 3097

  • Western Cape: Mr W Jantjies

021 467 2613

Image via: DBE


If you’re not sure which documents you need in order to apply to a certain school, we’ve got you covered. According to the DBE, you will need the following documents: 

  • Birth certificate (Note that baptismal certificates will not be regarded as proof of birth date);
  • Immunisation card; and
  • Transfer card or last school report card for learners who have been to school previously.

Additional documents required if one is not a South African citizen are: 

  • Study Permit;
  • Temporary or permanent residence permit from the Department of Home Affairs; or
  • Evidence that you have applied for permission to stay in South Africa. 

Of course, you are free to choose whether to register your child at a public or independent school.  

“Public schools are state-controlled and independent schools are privately governed. Independent schools must be registered with the Provincial Education Department. Public schools must be established by the MEC for education in the province,” the DBE said. 

You can check with the Provincial Education Department if the school you wish to enrol your child in is registered before you make any registrations and payments.

ALSO READ: 2022 school calendar revealed: Education Department confirms dates