Medupi Eskom

Photo: Mike Mangana / SABC / Twitter

Sabotage: Another Eskom maintenance worker arrested

A sting operation lead to the arrest of an Eskom maintenance worker over theft of R150 000 worth of copper cables.

Medupi Eskom

Photo: Mike Mangana / SABC / Twitter

As the country continues to suffer from rolling blackouts, a maintenance employee of a sub-contractor at Eskom has been arrested for tampering with essential infrastructure.

Maintenance workers sabotaging Eskom

ALSO READ: INSIDE: NUMSA, Eskom lucrative wage deal for workers

The 31 year old suspect, employed by Info-Tech Maintenance Company at Medupi and Matimba Power Plants has been arrest along with two other accomplices.

This is the second time a maintenance worker has been implicated in a case of tampering or sabotage at the power utility. In November last year, a maintenance worker at the Camden Power Station faces a charge of sabotage after he admitted to removing an oil drain plug, which caused Unit 4 at the plant to trip repeatedly.

ALSO READ: City of Tshwane owes Eskom R1.9b as it defaults on its debt

This was allegedly done so that the maintenance company can receive additional work.

Suspects flee the scene and leave stolen loot

Police say they received an initial complaint over theft of copper cables worth over R150 000. Working with Eskom Security, they located the stolen cables hidden in bushes inside the premises.

ALSO READ: WATCH: Eskom’s R500m security contract clarification [VIDEO]

A trap was set up for their arrest as it was expected for the thieves to return to collect their stolen loot.

Four suspects did indeed return, however noticed they were under surveillance and fled the scene. The maintenance worker fled the scene in a getaway car- a Kia Picanto. However police quickly caught up to him and he was arrested.

ALSO READ: Here’s why Eskom has been implementing lower stages of load shedding

Willing to cooperate with police, the suspect lead police to his accomplices in an informal settlement just outside the plant. The fourth is currently on the run. They are expected to appear before the Lephalale Magistrate’s Court on Monday.