Robben Island power yacht NSRI

Photo: Supplied

Princess 45: Luxury yacht runs aground on Robben Island

The NSRI confirmed that three men have been rescued after a power yacht ran aground on Robben Island on Tuesday 8 June.

Robben Island power yacht NSRI

Photo: Supplied

The National Sea Rescue Institute (NSRI) has confirmed that three men were rescued from a local 45-foot luxury yacht that ran aground on Robben Island, Cape Town on Tuesday.  

The three men aged, 48, 52 and 66, from Durbanville were brought to the NSRI Table Bay sea rescue station aboard our sea rescue craft and they were transported to their vehicles.


In a statement released on Wednesday, 9 June NSRI Table Bay station commander, Marc de Vos, said that at 19:59, Tuesday 8 June, NSRI Table Bay duty crew were activated by NSRI EOC (Emergency Operations Centre) following a mayday distress call from a local 45-foot yacht reporting to be run aground on the Eastern side of Robben Island.

“On arrival on the scene, in calm seas and dense fog, the vessel was found to be hard aground and listing. A rescue swimmer was deployed to swim and wade to the vessel. In relays of one at a time the three casualty crew were assisted to shore by the NSRI rescue swimmer and they were assisted by DEFF officers on the land side.

“Efforts to pull the yacht off the rocks were investigated but In the low tide the effort was abandoned and an anchor was deployed to attempt to hold the yacht away from the shore at high tide that was due in the early hours of the morning. Disaster Risk Management control were alerted.”


The Princess power yacht was sold by Boating World SA. It was a used Princess 45, one of the world’s top power yacht models. TimesLive reported that Boating World owner Derrick Levy confirmed the sale and said the boat, Atlantic Princess, had a valid seaworthy certificate.

The owner and salvors are expected to attempt to salvage the yacht today, Wednesday, 9 June.

“The [three] men, aged 48, 52 and 66, from Durbanville, were brought to our NSRI Table Bay sea rescue station aboard our sea rescue craft and they were transported to their vehicles. They were not injured and no further assistance was required. The vessel had departed from Granger Bay on Tuesday afternoon. Rescue crew were alerted at around [20:00] and the rescue operation ended at [1:00].”


READ: Search for missing Hout Bay boat captain continues after sea collision