rape North West

Serial rapist in North West is sentenced

Photo: Twitter / @SAPoliceService

MURDER: Du Plessis walked through open door to kill elderly woman

The 36-year-old murderer told the court how he mercilessly stabbed an eighty-six year old retirement home resident in Klipfontein.

rape North West

Serial rapist in North West is sentenced

Photo: Twitter / @SAPoliceService

Tertius Du Plessis has been sentenced to life in prison in the Middelburg High Court for the murder of eighty-six year retirement home resident Johanna Rossouw, 86.

His sentence was handed down on Friday 3 December. 

Du Plessis, 36, of Kromdraai in Witbank robbed and murdered Rossouw in her home at Fuschia Eden Park retirement village in Klipfontein in January 2021. Du Plessis pleaded guilty to the murder and robbery.

National Prosecuting Authority spokesperson for the Mpumalanga region, Monica Nyuswa, said that the court handed Du Plessis a term of life imprisonment for murder and a further fifteen years for robbery with aggravating circumstances. 

“The court ordered the sentences to run concurrently, the effective sentence being life imprisonment,” Nyuswa said.

Du Plessis confesses to robbery and murder

In Du Plessis’s guilty plea statement that his attorney read out in court, he said that on 31 January 2021, he had gone to a retirement village in Klipfontein where Rossouw lived.

Du Plessis told the court that the door to her home had been left open and he had walked inside. He said that Rossouw had confronted him while he was searching the house. He then tied her hands in order to subdue her and stabbed her many times with a knife that he had found on a plate, in order to get out of the house.

He then took Rossouw’s cellphone and drove out of the complex in her vehicle. 

Du Plessis told the court that a few days later, he decided to hand himself over to the police and he had confessed to the robbery and murder.

State advocate Derrick Rowles successfully prosecuted the murder case. 

In a separate trial in KwaZulu-Natal on Friday, a 26-year old man appeared in the Estcourt magistrates court to face a charge of murder after he allegedly beheaded a six-year-old girl.