Tshwane body

A stock photo of a dead body with its hand out. Photo: Pixabay

Municipal worker electrocuted and dies while cutting grass in Umlazi

The municipal worker was found in a critical condition, resuscitation efforts were unsuccessful and he was declared dead on the scene.

Tshwane body

A stock photo of a dead body with its hand out. Photo: Pixabay

A Durban municipal worker has died after he was electrocuted while cutting grass on Friday in Umlazi Z section. 


Emergency services company Emer-G-Med said just after 10h30 on Friday morning, paramedics responded to Z section Umlazi for reports of an electrocution.

“Reports from the scene are that a male approximately thirty-eight years of age, was cutting the grass on the side of the roadway, when he accidentally struck an electrical wire.

“The man was found in a critical condition and advanced life support resuscitation efforts were exhausted for over forty-five minutes in an attempt to revive him, however they were unsuccessful and the man was declared dead on the scene.”


The South African Police Services were reportedly in attendance and will be conducting the necessary investigation accordingly.

In January, 21-year-old Cole Maharaj from Westcliff in Chatsworth was also electrocuted on his first day at work.

Cole was employed at a construction company where he dug trenches.

On January 24, while cleaning up one of the trenches, he was electrocuted and burnt throughout his body. He was rushed to hospital and later succumbed to his wounds.

ALSO READ: Worker critical after being electrocuted in Western Cape