The SA Weather Service (SAWS) has released the weather forecast for Mpumalanga today, 27 May, and the province is expected to be experiencing thundershowers in most areas throughout the day.
See more weather on the live blog here: Weather live updates
WEATHER FORECAST FOR MPUMALANGA
Here is the weather forecast for your area:
HOW TO STAY SAFE WHILE OUTSIDE IN A THUNDERSTORM
With thundershowers expected for most of the province, here are a few tips if you find yourself outside:
- If the weather forecast calls for thunderstorms, postpone your trip or activity. This will help you avoid being caught in a thunderstorm and getting injured.
- When thunder roars, go indoors. Lightning can strike up to 16km away from a thunderstorm, so it is important to seek shelter immediately when you hear thunder.
- If you are caught in an open area, find adequate shelter immediately. This could be a building, a car with the windows rolled up, or a ditch.
- If you cannot find shelter, crouch down in a ball-like position with your head tucked and hands over your ears.
- Do not shelter under an isolated tree or a cliff or rocky overhang.
ALSO READ: Viral Video: Cockroach slays on the Met Gala red carpet [watch]
- Do not stand in water or near metal objects.
- If you are in a group, separate from each other. This will help reduce the number of injuries if lightning strikes.
- If you are out in the open water, return to shore immediately. Lightning can travel through water, so it is important to get out of the water as soon as possible.
- Avoid open vehicles and structures. These structures are not safe from lightning strikes.
- Stay away from open spaces. Lightning is more likely to strike open spaces than wooded areas.
- Stay away from tall structures. Lightning is more likely to strike tall structures than shorter structures.
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE ARTICLES BY MICHELLE SWART