Hotel group, Marriott International announced on Friday that it’s closing down three of its hotels in South Africa.
With both international and domestic travel restricted under lockdown, the hospitality industry has suffered major financial knocks, with more jobs expected to be shed over the coming months.
The global group has not been spared from the economic fallout, which has prompted it to permanently close doors on three hotels, including the famous Mount Grace in Magaliesburg.
The other hotels closed down are the Protea Hotel by Marriott Hazyview and Protea Hotel by Marriott Durban Edward.
In a statement, Marriott said it had been forced to come to the difficult decision by financial constraints.
“These are indeed challenging times and our thoughts are with the associates impacted by this decision across the three properties. We value their hard work and dedication over the years and thank them for their service,” the group said.Marriott International
The latest developments come just after South African president, Cyril Ramaphosa announced that more sectors of business will be allowed to operate under Level 3 lockdown, including the hotel industry.
During his address on Wednesday night, the president acknowledged that said industries will have accrued severe financial loss, having not been operational since March.
Industries expected to return to business in the coming days include restaurants and casinos.
Speaking to Cape Talk Radio earlier in the week, Sun International chief executive, Anthony Leeming said they were working to ensure that they meet the necessary social distancing requirements.
“It’s a light at the end of the tunnel…there are some challenges – they still have not said we can travel inter-provincially…so we’ll still have challenges in opening all our facilities…but having our casinos open is definitely a big win for us.”
In May, it was reported that the tourism industry in Cape Town alone is expected to shed up to 100 000 jobs due to the lockdown.