The SA Weather Service (SAWS) has released the weather forecast for the Free State today, 9 June, and the province is expected to be experiencing thundershowers in some areas throughout the day.
See more weather on the live blog here: Weather live updates
WEATHER FORECAST FOR THE FREE STATE
Here is the weather forecast for your area:
HOW TO STAY SAFE WHILE OUTSIDE IN A THUNDERSTORM
With thundershowers expected for most of the province, here are a few tips if you find yourself outside:
- If the weather forecast calls for thunderstorms, postpone your trip or activity. This will help you avoid being caught in a thunderstorm and getting injured.
- When thunder roars, go indoors. Lightning can strike up to 16km away from a thunderstorm, so it is important to seek shelter immediately when you hear thunder.
- If you are caught in an open area, find adequate shelter immediately. This could be a building, a car with the windows rolled up, or a ditch.
- If you cannot find shelter, crouch down in a ball-like position with your head tucked and hands over your ears.
- Do not shelter under an isolated tree or a cliff or rocky overhang.
ALSO READ: Viral Video: Cockroach slays on the Met Gala red carpet [watch]
- Do not stand in water or near metal objects.
- If you are in a group, separate from each other. This will help reduce the number of injuries if lightning strikes.
- If you are out in the open water, return to shore immediately. Lightning can travel through water, so it is important to get out of the water as soon as possible.
- Avoid open vehicles and structures. These structures are not safe from lightning strikes.
- Stay away from open spaces. Lightning is more likely to strike open spaces than wooded areas.
- Stay away from tall structures. Lightning is more likely to strike tall structures than shorter structures.
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE ARTICLES BY MICHELLE SWART