Fire Gqeberha

Image via: Port Elizabeth Traffic Updates / Facebook

Gqeberha fire: Family of three, including one-year-old baby, perish

A one-year-old died along with his parents in a horrific fire that occurred in Gqeberha on Wednesday 31 March.

Fire Gqeberha

Image via: Port Elizabeth Traffic Updates / Facebook

A family of three, including a one-year-old baby, died in an early morning fire in Sidwell, Gqeberha on Wednesday 31 March.

Police spokesperson Captain Sandra Janse van Rensburg said the young family who perished were Chinese nationals. Atlas Security reportedly responded to the call at 4:00 after their client, the Caltex Garage next door, pressed their panic button. Sadly, the three bodies were discovered after the fire was extinguished.


Janse van Rensburg said the fire reportedly spread from a neighbouring business, situated in the same building, onto the clothing and furniture business. The family of three lived on the same premises as their business in Commercial Road.

“The bodies of two adults and one infant were found on the first floor of the premises,” she said.


Van Rensburg said police are working with translators to communicate with family of the deceased. The family members are also expected to view the bodies at the mortuary on Tuesday 6 April.

“We still need to inform the Chinese consulate before we can release their identities,” she added.

Ilana Mostert wrote on Facebook that she owns a nearby business and was notified of the fire at 5:00.

“We know the people who died in the fire and it’s sad. Atlas phoned me at 5:00 and told me the scrap metal business is burning and when I arrived there, there was no fire in our premises.”

Morne Joseph, who also wrote on Facebook, said his brother who works at the Caltex garage next door to where the fire started, received treatment for smoke inhalation.

 “My brother was on night shift next door by Caltex, they had to give him oxygen for the smoke that was everywhere, he was also scared for the fuel there.”

Another Facebook user said that if the fire had reached the petrol station it would have been a disaster.

“If Caltex had to blow, we would all have been in trouble.”

READ: Family of five, including three children, die in shack fire near Atlantis