Ekurhuleni shack fire

Three children and an adult died in a multiple shack fire in Germiston. Image: Pixabay

Ekurhuleni: Three children and adult burn beyond recognition in shack fire

Three children and an adult were burnt beyond recognition in a multiple shack fire in Germiston, Ekurhuleni.

Ekurhuleni shack fire

Three children and an adult died in a multiple shack fire in Germiston. Image: Pixabay

Three children and an adult died in a multiple shack fire incident in Marathon Informal settlement, Germiston in the City of Ekurhuleni on Sunday, 1 May 2022. 

The children aged nine, seven and two years including a female adult aged forty-three, all  burned beyond recognition. 

FOUR DIE IN EKURHULENI SHACK FIRE 

The incident has been described as one of the most gruesome this winter. 

City of Ekurhuleni Disaster and Emergency Management Services (DEMS) spokesperson, William Ntladi said firefighters received the call exactly at 23H13 Sunday evening and responded promptly for intervention. 

Primrose, Bedfordview and Albertina Sisulu fire stations were in attendance with three fire engines. 

Ntladi said on arrival,  multiple shacks were already destroyed by fire flames spreading to others.

Offensive direct fire suppression was initiated to prevent further spread. 

“On investigation after flames were extinguished following the information of entrapment from bystanders, three siblings from one shack and an adult from another unfortunately, couldn’t escape the blaze. 

“All four were declared deceased on scene by paramedics. The children’s mother escaped with minor burn wounds. As per information on scene, the cause of the fire is suspected to be a paraffin stove left unattended in one of the burned shacks.”

Ekurhuleni Emergency Services spokesperson

An inquest docket was opened with South African police services (SAPS) for in-depth investigations. 

TWINS PERISH IN SHACK FIRE

Last week, two twin toddlers were burnt to death in a shack fire during a power outage in Windmill Park, Boksburg also in Ekurhuleni.

Spokesperson, William Ntladi said  firefighters from Vosloorus fire station promptly responded to the scene immediately after the reception of the call.

On arrival, the backyard shack was engulfed in flames, members of the public frantically trying to extinguish the blaze with buckets. 

ALSO READ: Ekurhuleni: Charred bodies of twin toddlers found after shack fire