Doctor Pixley Kaseme Street, West Street, Durban CBD, KwaZulu-Natal, Durban fire, Thursday fire in Durban, four treated for smoke inhalation

Four people were treated for smoke inhalation following a fire that broke out in a restaurant in Durban. Photo: @rinmor / Twitter

Durban fire: Smoke spreads from restaurant to residential building

Four people were treated for smoke inhalation following a restaurant fire that lead to a residential building in the Durban CBD on Thursday, 11 August.

Doctor Pixley Kaseme Street, West Street, Durban CBD, KwaZulu-Natal, Durban fire, Thursday fire in Durban, four treated for smoke inhalation

Four people were treated for smoke inhalation following a fire that broke out in a restaurant in Durban. Photo: @rinmor / Twitter

A fire broke out on Doctor Pixley Kaseme Street (formerly West Street) in Durban on the morning of Thursday, 11 August.

Restaurant catches on fire and impacts residential building

The fire reportedly initially broke out at a popular restaurant but the smoke quickly spread to the residential building above. IOL reports that the eThekwini Fire Department’s Acting Divisional Commander Sifiso Mtshali said the restaurant was located on the ground floor.

Mtshali explained that the smoke spread to the residential building through the ducts. He revealed that the fire is suspected to have started from a faulty gas cooker, however, investigations would need to be conducted.

Four people were treated for smoke inhalation

Mtshali said the fire department took around 20 minutes to douse the flames from the building. The spokesperson for KZN Emergency Medical Services Robert Mckenzie revealed that four people were treated for smoke inhalation.

“The patients were in a stable condition and have been transported to hospital for continued medical care,”

said Mckenzie.

Watch the video of the incident below:

Man burnt to death in Waterloo shack

Meanwhile, it was previously reported that a fire that gutted several homes in Phase 6, Waterloo in KwaZulu-Natal (KZN) led to the death of a 38-year-old man whose charred remains were recovered on Sunday morning. 

According to private security, Reaction Unit South Africa (RUSA), members were dispatched to Ithemba Lama Africa Road at approximately 01:04 after receiving multiple calls from residents in the area requesting assistance.

On arrival, Reaction Officers reportedly found several homes on one property were engulfed in flames. Residents were attempting to extinguish the blaze with buckets of water. The eThekwini Fire & Rescue Services arrived shortly thereafter and battled the blaze. The charred remains of a man were discovered amongst the debris. Read the full story here.

Man dies of smoke inhalation after a braai in the Eastern Cape

In related news, it was previously reported that police said a man died of smoke inhalation after a braai! How does that happen? Well, the man took his braai stand into his room to get warm after having a braai with friends.

After his friends were looking for him again this morning at about 11:40 at his home in Molteno Street, Cannon Hill, Kariega, they found his body on his bed. According to police spokesperson Captain Andre Beetge, the incident happened on payday, 25 July 2022. Beetge said an inquest docket was opened and is being investigated by Kariega SAPS.

“The South African Police Service wishes to warn residents to be extra cautious during cold winter nights, as persons are tempted to heat their rooms and homes with electric equipment and equipment using open flames.

“These methods pose a fire risk as well as risks of smoke inhalation, and our communities are urged to use those methods responsibly and safely,”

said Captain Andre Beetge.