cyclist accident

Photo: ER24

Cyclist killed on R559 in Randfontein on Sunday afternoon

Paramedics said a cyclist has died after been knocked down by a light motor vehicle on the R559 outside Rikusrus, Randfontein.

cyclist accident

Photo: ER24

A cyclist believed to be in his 30s or 40s has died after been knocked down by a light motor vehicle on the R559 outside Rikusrus, Randfontein, on Sunday afternoon.


According to ER24 spokesperson, Ross Campbell, paramedics arrived on the scene at 13:24 on Sunday afternoon.

“Provincial EMS was already in attendance. The man who was lying on the side of the road had unfortunately suffered fatal injuries and was declared dead by the Provincial services.”

ALSO READ: Young cyclist killed in horrific accident remembered for warm personality

Campbell said the driver of the vehicle, a 44-year-old man, was found dazed and still sitting in his vehicle.

“He had suffered moderate injuries and was treated and transported to hospital by ER24 for further care.”

He added that the Community Police Forum (CPF) was also on the scene.

Campbell also said paramedics attended to another accident on the R501 on Sunday afternoon.

“An adult woman has suffered critical injuries after being knocked down by a car involved in a partial head-on collision on the R501 outside Welverdiend, West of Carletonville, late this afternoon.”

He said paramedics were on the scene at 16:26 along with the Fire Department and the Provincial Emergency Medical Services.

“The critically injured woman was tended to by the Provincial services and transported to Carletonville Provincial Hospital for further care.

ALSO READ: Horrific accident: Eleven cyclists run over, one killed in KZN

“Two people from the Suzuki which rolled into her were found to have suffered moderate injuries. They had self-extricated and were treated and transported to Carletonville Hospital as well.

“The occupants of the second light vehicle involved were unharmed in the collision.”

According to Campbell both the South African Police Services, as well as the Traffic Department, were also on the scene for further investigations.